Homemade Calibration Solutions: measures not as precise as thought

ReeferAl

Premium Member
Randy,

Today at our club meeting we tried mixing up a specific gravity standard to calibrate members' hydrometers. We used the 2 liter diet coke and measuring cup method. All measured way off by the standard.

We then checked them against the refractometer standard I had previously mixed up using a triple beam balance and graduated cylinder. (We compared the sodium chloride content of 3.65 against table 5 in your article to obtain a SG of 1.026.) All hydrometers were within about .002 by that solution instead of being off by as much as about .008 by the SG standard. This led me to suspect that the 2l diet coke bottle and the 1/4 measuring cup are not as precise as suspected.

I weighed the 2l bottle of water (filled to top) from the diet coke bottle: 2047.8g

I then weighed the salt (Morton iodized) from a 1/4 kitchen measuring cup: 78.9g

The 1 tsp measure came out close enough: 6.0g

Based on those measurements the sodium chloride content of the solution we mixed was actually 3.98 weight %. All the hydrometers were measuring the solution at around 1.030, as expected.

I think the recipes will only work if you have access to an accurate scale +/- graduated cylinder as it appears that diet coke bottles and measuring cups are not as accurately reproduced as suspected.

Allen

Thanks. :)

It is certainly possible that the size of Coke bottles has changed, or varies from place to place. I'll get some here and recheck them. :)

What type of measuring cup did you use?

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6935720#post6935720 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
Thanks. :)
What type of measuring cup did you use?

It is a red plastic 1/4 cup measuring cup- no brand name marked. I think we have some other measuring cup set around. If so I'll check others to compare also.

Allen

I'd recommend only using those that are 1/4 cup to the very top (which that may be). Try putting water in it and see if you get the correct volume (by weight). :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6936421#post6936421 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
I'd recommend only using those that are 1/4 cup to the very top (which that may be). Try putting water in it and see if you get the correct volume (by weight). :)

All 3 cups are made to be filled to the very top.
I measured the weight of water that each would hold:

plastid dup: 62.2g
metal cup 1: 58.2
metal cup 2: 59.1

I used the same flat edged knife to scrape off the top of each cup wehn measuring the salt. The cups have different shapes with one taller and narrower and the others shorter and wider. I wonder if this shape difference allows a bit more salt to be scraped off a cup of one shape over another, even using a flat edged knife?

Allen

I did one more test to check the precision of the measurement. Using the same metal cup, same salt, and same knife edge I measured the weight 3 times:

72.4g

and from earlier:

74.0g

Allen

IMO, all of those are close enough to what I got, and your average (72.9) is very close. :)

All 3 cups are made to be filled to the very top.
I measured the weight of water that each would hold:

plastid dup: 62.2g
metal cup 1: 58.2
metal cup 2: 59.1

The true volume of 1/4 cup is 59.15 mL (~59.0 g at 25 deg C and 59.06 g at 18 deg C).

The issue, IMO, is really the Coke bottle volume, and whether it has changed.

OK, I guzzled down 2 L of lime flavored diet coke just for this experiment, and I got something in between.

I took the bottle, and weighed it on two different calibrated electronic balances.

I got 2089.1 g and 2088.1 g.

Compared to my original article where I got 2104.4 g, that would make a 35 ppt standard come to to 35.3 ppm.

Using the 2047.8 that Allen and the other folks linked got, that would make a 35 ppt standard come out to 36.0 ppt.

So I'm thinking of asking Skipper (the Reefkeeping Editor) to put a warning at the top of the article, such as:

Reef Aquarium Salinity: Homemade Calibration Standards
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.htm

Warning: the standards described here that use Coke bottles are subject to variation in the volume of a 2 L coke bottle. It has recently come to my attention that such 2-L bottles can vary in total volume, and that this can lead to at least a 1 ppt error in the salinity of the standards matched to seawater salinity of 35 ppt. Standards made with accurate measurements of salt and water should still accurately match 35 ppt.

Um, I'm thinking of adding this edit:

Warning: the standards described here that use Choke bottles are subject to variation in the volume of a 2 L choke bottle. It has recently come to my attention that such 2-L bottles can vary in total volume, and that this can lead to at least a 1 ppt error in the salinity of the standards matched to seawater salinity of 35 ppt. Standards made with accurate measurements of salt and water should still accurately match 35 ppt. Additionally, you should not be drinking Choke. PEPSI RULES!!!!

:p

****For those who don't get it, note my occupation.****

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6948753#post6948753 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Skipper
Randy: if you'd like me to make the change, just say the word.

Jon: sorry, bud. :D

I thought there were going to be no more commercial plugs for beverages. :D

Allen

Randy:

How about an article on very easy to make calibration solutions for pH meters (4.0, 7.0, and 10.0) and ORP meters. Heck, not een an article, but just some suggestions............

Back