Hooking up a sump to 22 cadlights... Need some ideas?

chelskisw6

Id like to increase the water volume to keep my water parameters under control, as well as control my evap...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to physically attach a sump to my tank? It has an overflow, and is not drilled.

Id like something that is virtually fool proof... I just need some ideas on the best way to achieve this.

You can see it here if you've never seen this particular tank before...
http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?cPath=2 it is the 22g model.

Thanks in advance!

yeah, the filter is built it.

Im a little worried about drilling it, as all my livestock is in there now, plus i have never drilled a tank before.

i was thinking of someway to do it without drilling, but i have no idea...

Maybe you could add an overflow off of your sump. Something like this might work:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...D&Product_Code=CS50&Category_Code=CPROverflow

I'm not sure what the maximum length is on the filtration compartments, but this is the smallest I could find. It will probably work. You could direct the return back into the display which would require drilling into blue/black plexiglass backing and adding a bulkhead. Or if you're not wanting to do anything that drastic, you can have the return into the filtration area.

Ok here's what your going to need:
1. 3 Rubber Bands
2. 14 Swizzle Sticks
3. A large extra cheese pizza
4. Mary Jane and all her friends...
5. 6 Hours with nothing to do...
6. AN OVERFLOW BOX!

Step 1 - Fling all 3 rubber bands out the window
Step 2 - Consume all 14 swizzle sticks for that ultimate sugar rush
Step 3 - Consume mary jane and all her friends via any method necessary
Step 4 - Spend 6 hours finishing that PIZZA
Step 5 - Order your overflow box; carefully choosing the correct one after taking measurements using the swizzle sticks!

you need to lay off the reefer son. I hope your tank falls over on that dodgy stand of yours! no wait, i wouldnt wish that on anyone.... i hope you stab yourself with a record needle!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9302297#post9302297 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Waterboy
Maybe you could add an overflow off of your sump. Something like this might work:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...D&Product_Code=CS50&Category_Code=CPROverflow

I'm not sure what the maximum length is on the filtration compartments, but this is the smallest I could find. It will probably work. You could direct the return back into the display which would require drilling into blue/black plexiglass backing and adding a bulkhead. Or if you're not wanting to do anything that drastic, you can have the return into the filtration area.

I was looking at those, and im not really sure where that would fit... the back compartment is really small. The thing is divided in two, each being 6"x3 3/4". The two gaps on each side are 5".

I would ideally like to drill a bulkhead into the back compartment, but i've never drilled a tank before and really dont want to mess it up. its one thing on a new empty tank, and another when all your prized livestock is living there!

I had a look at those... doesnt look too bad...

I have also been thinking about a HOB fuge... but that doesnt have much increase in water volume...

Have you had any experience with Melevs version? I would be worried about flooding if something went wrong.

Sorry, I haven't had any experience with Melev's overflow. He would be a great person to ask and he seems very receptive to answering questions, judging from his website. With any HOB overflow, you run the risk of a siphon break. Some people direct the outflow of a powerhead into the U-tube to minimize this risk. You can also use a float switch to monitor the level of water feeding into the overflow to switch off the return pump if the level gets too high.

Back