Hoping you cured HLLE

Tspors58

Hope to hear from someone who reversed HLLE.
Tank is very mature 210g 15+ years
My Blue and Sailfin Tang have been affected.

Sg 1.024
nitrate is <40
I was running activated carbon. Stopped today.
Have started soaking food and nori in vita chem last few weeks.

What else to reverse this?
thanks

I have reversed HLLE. It takes a long time and sometimes, some remnants of it hangs on. What needs to be done:
The fish have to have the best nutrition. Follow the recommendations in the Fish Nutrition post. In addition, give them a boost in immunity:

Help the fish by improving its immunity and ability to heal wounds by adding supplements for an ill fish to its diet as recommended in the Fish Nutrition post. Use especially Beta-1,3/1,6-D-Glucan. Use Beta Glucan once a day as directed in the post, for no more than 10 days. Stop the "ill fish" supplement recommendation after 10 days and return to a weekly use of Vita-Chem for one feeding.

Good luck!

Hope to hear from someone who reversed HLLE.
Tank is very mature 210g 15+ years
My Blue and Sailfin Tang have been affected.

Sg 1.024
nitrate is <40
I was running activated carbon. Stopped today.
Have started soaking food and nori in vita chem last few weeks.

What else to reverse this?
thanks
In addition to the nutritional recommendations in my previous post, I neglected to point out (I assumed, unfortunately) that water quality overall is in top quality.

Dusty carbon can contribute to HLLE. It has also been reported that these may contribute to HLLE:
  1. Stray voltage Use a titanium ground probe & test your tank for stray voltage. (Research the difference between “stray voltage” and “induced voltage”.)
  2. Lignite Carbon – Do not use it. Only use premium grade carbon,
 such as Rox 0.8.
  3. Copper exposure – Sometimes fish treated with copper (especially tangs) will develop HLLE. It usually “heals” post treatment, but food soaking a vitamin supplement is a good idea to help expedite this.
I have never personally believed in 1. Never found any actual evidence of it.

Hobbyists often overlook 3. A fish from online or local marine fish store has been in copper. How much of that copper found it's way into the display tank? After I acclimate my fish to the QT from a source that kept the fish in copper, I took the fish out of the water it came in and put it into the QT. If in the QT I used copper, I make sure I use copper-removing filtration (CupriSorb and/or The Poly Filter) after large water changes, and even then I move the fish to the DT with minimal water.

Last edited:
Back