HLLE in black tang

afm32607

Okay,

So long story short I failed to properly quarantine, my tang got ich, i used hypo, then copper, cured the ich, and then used carbon to remove ich from QT tank (which is now used every time). Tang developed HLLE. I feed nori three-four times a week (green, red, purple, and garlic vitamin c supplemented), frozen foods daily (marine plankton, rods, mysis, the green brine shrimp) on a rotation, and flakes and pellets whenever.

I got nitrates below 20 ppm and over three to four months saw good improvement. Then it stopped and he seems stuck with some scarring.

Is there any way to get rid of the remaining scarring? He is such a beautiful fish.

Do you have a picture? Has any of the fin,grown back?If it is eating,that is a good sign.Is your tang still exposed to the carbon?I had a yellow tang develop what I thought was HLLE,and it was reversed 100% after carbon removal.All of the damaged tissue should repair nicely,if the source of HLLE,has been removed.

I'm not sure from my research, that an actual cause has been determined. It is suggested nutrition plays a role and that activated carbon exacerbates its condition. I also have read research papers stating it could also be from GFO.

I don't use carbon or GFO on my tank and I feed frozen food daily and nori (red, purple, or green) three times a week. All the food is soaked in selcon and garlic. Occasionally I feed live gracillaria (sp) algae I harvest from other display tanks with macros.

I still don't seem to have a solution to the problem. I am considering the scarring permanent. Any other suggestions let me know.

Back