How did you cut starboard to fit tank?

landragon

Premium Member
I am not looking for the tool, as much as the pattern. I will need to cut it into at least two pieces to fit it in the tank as I already put the return manifold for the closed loop in place. I want to hide the seams as much as possible. It is an All GLass 90 corner overflow. It has a center brace. I have 95 lbs of tonga and one 22 lb piece of haitian. I already have the corner cut for the overflow.

use some scrap cardboard first to make a pattern. Once you've got the fit you like, transfer that pattern onto the starboard, then cut with whatever tool you like.

The carboard template is a great idea, that is what I did to cut the starboard for my 15G. I cut mine with a jig saw for corners, and a skill saw for straight parts.

Whiskey

I cut mine with a large piece all the way across the front half of the aquarium and another piece covering the whole back half. Actually, the front piece is larger than the back one. It's just a little bit narrower than the front to back distance between my eurobracing.

Anyway, by doing this you don't get a visual seam cutting your tank into left and right halves. The seam ends up being further back and in my case is largely hidden by the rockwork.

To get it in the tank, I slid one end down into the corner and then bent the board until it flexed enough to get below the eurobrace.

I used a SkilSaw and a FINE CUT blade.
I measured inside to inside (L and W) and took off 1/2".
Fit perfectly into my tank with about 1/4" margin.

Mine fit in one piece. :)

Try to place the seam(s) below your rockwork where possible..e.g. if you have a 2 island look, consider 3 pieces (2 seams) so that the middle of the tank would be unobstructed with a seam down the middle. Gudwyn's idea is good too if you have a standard rock wall effect...similar concept (hide the seams).

Back