How do I frag this coral

Ronny#66

100_4603.jpg

100_4602.jpg

How do I frag this coral ? I don't even remember what the name is . Green something The LFS owner said it can only be gotten out of a tank there all gone in the ocean. Don't know if this is true or not.

Ronny

either a razor blade/exact-o-knife(brand new) or coral clippers. very easy to do. just cut a piece off. being its a soft coral, gluing it to a rock probably wont work out so well, sooo try rubber banding it (loose but not to loose, tight but not to tight) to a rock and over the course of a few days it should bond to the rock, then remove rubber band. TA DA! Frag!

It's kind of pointless to ID them by the "marketed name" Most places don't take the time to properly ID them anyway. They just generically name most "Toadstool Leather" "Finger Leather" or "Leather Coral"

If you want to take a crack at actually ID'ing it by the proper name, here is a good place to start:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/alcyoniidsii.htm

My guess would be Sinularia Felxibilis, because I believe Nepthea cannot retract their branches. Of course I am assuming Ronny's can, like the frag I pictured. :p

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/nephtheids.htm

Genus Nephthea: Bush- or tree-like in appearance. To a foot and a half tall. Soft to touch. One type of polyps that are non-retractile, clustered terminally on branches, lobe-like. Most often are colored brownish-yellow, but also found brownish-green to purple. Color owing to their zooxanthellae. Common to abundant in wave-protected shallow reef areas in Indo-western Pacific reefs.

I can't remember the slang name for these corals let alone the real name but it is the green nepthea it can retract quite small .

Is there a special way to cut this to frag. Certain spot ect . I don't want to buy special cutters . How about sergical type cutting shears.

Lets cover another subject while I have the pic up here. Look at the sand bed by the clam see the little clumps of sand . This is what I'm trying to get rid of . Mostly in back of live rock. Tried shutting lights off 3 days still there. Some kind of algai think I spelled it right. Can't get rid of it. It's the darker clumps of sand.

Ronny

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14209214#post14209214 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ronny#66
Is there a special way to cut this to frag. Certain spot ect . I don't want to buy special cutters . How about sergical type cutting shears.
No special way... just use a razor blade. I cut near the bottom of one of the branches or stems.. around where it connects to the base, other branch, etc...
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14210026#post14210026 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ronny#66
How do I cut this coral can I pin it to a piece of coral already in tank don't have any hanging around.
After you cut it, just rubberband it to a piece of LR rubble. Just be careful not to do it too tight, or the band will slowly cut through its flesh. You are really just trying to wedge it in place until it takes hold on the rubble.

Last edited:
after cutting make sure you're skimming, maybe even more wet than usual and do some moderate water changes, run carbon if you've got it. the softies can produce toxins when "damaged" and stress your other livestock - so just do be on the safe side. Just to second Tswifty8, that's how I did mine.

Back