How do I program an Apollo LED dimmable fixture with Apex Jr and VDM?

tman23

I just purchased 2 Apollo LED dimmable fixtures, an Apex Jr. (no display), and a NeptuneSystems VDM (to control sunrise, sunset, etc.).

I have gotten the light to run White w/ moonlight, blue w/ moonlight, white and blue w/ moonlight, but I am having some trouble programming the sunrise, sunset, light intensity features.

The VDM instructions appear to be catered to an AI dimmable light... so it may be true that even if you know how to program another light (besides an Apollo), that is not an AI, using APEX Jr. with VDM, then you may be able to help me.

Thanks in advance!!

SHort answer, you don't.

The VDM talks to the AquaIlluminations LED lights and unless the LED you purchased talks the same protocol the VDM will not control it (except)...

If the unit can use 0-10v control then you can purchase (or build) a cable and use the variable speed ports on the VDM.

You can use the example programming in the VDM manual as a guide; the same concepts apply to 0-10V dimmable lighting like the Apollo Solar Blast, even though the example is, as you noted, written for AI Sols. The primary difference is that you will use the VarSpd outlets on the VDM instead of the predefined AI LED outlets. But it seems that you've gotten that part figured out. Please tell us exactly what you are having trouble with... and post your current programming for the lights as well.

I just purchased 2 Apollo LED dimmable fixtures, an Apex Jr. (no display), and a NeptuneSystems VDM (to control sunrise, sunset, etc.).

I have gotten the light to run White w/ moonlight, blue w/ moonlight, white and blue w/ moonlight, but I am having some trouble programming the sunrise, sunset, light intensity features.

The VDM instructions appear to be catered to an AI dimmable light... so it may be true that even if you know how to program another light (besides an Apollo), that is not an AI, using APEX Jr. with VDM, then you may be able to help me.

Thanks in advance!!

I created ramp profiles for the sunrise and sunset. I also created profiles for different intensities that I use virtual outlets to tie back to. Here's how my white variable port is setup.

White_Var
Set OFF
If Time 15:30 to 16:30 Then RampUpW
If Time 16:30 to 17:30 Then WI30
If Time 17:30 to 18:30 Then RampDnW
If Time 20:30 to 02:30 Then Ramp2Mn
If Outlet W5 = ON Then WI5
If Outlet W10 = ON Then WI10
If Outlet W20 = ON Then WI20
If Outlet W30 = ON Then WI30
If Outlet W40 = ON Then WI40
If Outlet W50 = ON Then WI50

And here's how the profile for one of the ramps is setup

RampUpW
<type>ramp</type>
<rampTime>60</rampTime>
<startIntensity>0</startIntensity>
<endIntensity>30</endIntensity>

Programming

Programming

So far I have gotten the lights to go blue on/off and white on/off at certain times... but I am having trouble with dimming.

Here is some info about how stuff is set up:

Apex Status

LightWh1_I1 Auto <--Outlet 1... white LEDs
LightBL1_I1 Auto <--Outlet 2... blue LEDs

blah blah...

VarSpd1_2_1 Auto
VarSpd2_2_2 Auto

Apex Profile Setup

Profile: Sunrisew (PF1)
Profile name: Sunrisew
Control Type: Ramp
Ramp Time (min): 120
Start Intensity: 0
End Intensity: 100

Apex Profile Setup

Profile: Sunsetw (PF2)
Profile name: Sunsetw
Control Type: Ramp
Start Intensity: 100
End Intensity: 0

Apex Outlet Setup

Outlet: LightWh1_I1 - (base_Out1)
Outlet name: LightWh1_I1
Control type: Light
Icon: Light A
Fallback off
on time 12:00
off time 18:00
blah blah...
Hysteresis 030:00

Apex Outlet Setup

Outlet: LightBL2_I2 - (base_Out2)
Outlet name: LightBL2_I2
Control type: Light
Icon: Light B
Fallback off
on time 10:00
off time 20:00
blah blah...
Hysteresis 030:00

Now for supposedly corresponding VDM ports...

Apex Outlet Setup

Outlet: VarSpd1_2_1 - (2_1)
Outlet name: VarSpd1_2_1
Control type: Advanced
Icon Up/Down Arrows
Advanced setup
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If time 10:00 to 12:00 Then Sunrisew
If time 12:00 to 18:00 Then ON
If time 18:00 to 20:00 Then Sunsetw
If Temp > 82.0 Then OFF
Min Time 030:00 Then OFF

Apex Outlet Setup

Outlet: VarSpd2_2_2 - (2_2)
Outlet name: VarSpd2_2_2
Control type: Advanced
Icon Left/Right Arrows
Advanced setup
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If time 8:00 to 10:00 Then Sunrisew
If time 10:00 to 20:00 Then ON
If time 20:00 to 22:00 Then Sunsetw
If Temp > 82.0 Then OFF

:confused: What is wrong?

Thanks!

Maybe try something simpler first to make sure you have the basics working and then delve into the cooler stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see anything obvious wrong with your programming.

I do suggest that you remove the Min Time statements from the VS ports and the outlets. When used in with lighting, the Min Time (aka hystersis) is used to provide the cool-down period necessary for metal halide lighting; it is put in there automatically when you use the Light wizard. It is unnecessary with most other types of lighting. You'll need to change the outlets to Advanced mode to do this - then just delete the Min Time line

The problem with the dimming is that I am having trouble getting the lights to perform sunrise or sunset features.

As for starting simple and going to more advanced features, I already have the light programmed to turn white and blue LEDs on and off independently at set times. I'm trying to use the light for its intended purpose. I don't wanna get it over over my head though ;)

Thanks for the input about the Min Time statements.

The lights are incredible, however I do wish it was easier to program them to dim... I am a bit concerned that I will fry my corals, plus you can make all sorts of color temperature combinations with setting blue/white lights to varying levels of intensity... and the sunrise and sunset effect is more realistic than just on, off. The ramping capabilities seem like it would be healthier for corals and fish.

Thanks for all the input.
Hope to get some more and get this issue resolved! :)

You may want to limit the max intensity. To do this you'll need a third profile, and modify your programming as follows. The third profile maintains a steady but reduced intensity (from max) during your main daytime period.

Profile: Sunrisew (PF1)
Start Intensity: 0
End Intensity: 65

Profile: Sunsetw (PF2)
Start Intensity: 65
End Intensity: 0

Profile: MidDay (PF3)
Ramp Time (min): 0 <--- note the 0 ramp time
Start Intensity: 65
End Intensity: 65

65% is just suggested starting point; adjust as desired. But use the exact same value in each place above where I used 65 in boldface red.

Outlet: VarSpd1_2_1 - (2_1)
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If time 10:00 to 12:00 Then Sunrisew
If time 12:00 to 18:00 Then MidDay <-- use the new profile instead of ON
If time 18:00 to 20:00 Then Sunsetw
If Temp > 82.0 Then OFF

Outlet: VarSpd2_2_2 - (2_2)
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If time 8:00 to 10:00 Then Sunrisew
If time 10:00 to 20:00 Then MidDay <-- use the new profile instead of ON
If time 20:00 to 22:00 Then Sunsetw
If Temp > 82.0 Then OFF

nice.
definitely a good suggestion. I will likely do that or something similar for light acclimation :)

mdefo: you'll love the Apollo's... The fixtures are amazing!

As for the code (talk about good customer service), I emailed Joe with Apollo last night with some screenshots and a link to this forum. Today he calls me and walks me through some simple dimming to give me a good start and clear up some coding misconceptions. Apex isn't even his product, but he helped me through some programming with the Apex controller to help me get a better grasp on the features of his light.

I have limited time, right now, but maybe later tonight or tomorrow I'll post a "reader's digest" version of some of the info he gave me. I don't want to post any misinformation, but what he talked me through was simple enough that hopefully I can help you understand some basic dimming.

I just got my 3 new dim Apollo leds. I'm having trouble connecting all 3 lights to my apex with only 1 v4 port left. What has everyone been using to have this work? Also based on the one I was able to connect my 250 MH were brighter can this be right Or does it need to be adjusted from the apex?

The first thing I would do is go to the status page and manually turn off my blue lights and the two variable speed ports. I would manually turn on my white lights. I would then manually turn on the variable speed port. You should see the light get significantly brighter. I would rinse and repeat with the blues. This will give you an idea of how dim the lights get(not very) and how bright they get.

I would then program your white and blue lights on the EB8

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 10:00 to 20:00 Then ON
If Temp > 80.0 Then OFF

You do this for both the blue and white and adjust times as needed, for example if you wanted to run your blues 30 minutes before and after your whites it would look like this.

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 09:20 to 20:30 Then ON
If Temp > 80.0 Then OFF

I then would set my profiles. (If you ramp to a certain intensity and want to keep that intensity all day then you don't need a MIDDAY profile)

SunriseB
ramp

SunsetB

MiddayB

Then set the variable speed port up.

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 09:30 to 18:30 then SunriseB
If Time 18:30 to 20:30 then SunsetB

or

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 09:30 to 11:30 then SunriseB
If Time 11:30 to 18:30 then MiddayB
If Time 18:30 to 20:30 then SunsetB

I would then do the same for the whites.

To make sure that it is working I would wait until midday, manually shut off the white lights then manually turn off the variable speed port. You should see the lights dim.

I have noticed that trying to 'see' the lights ramp up is very hard. You really need to go from 0 to 50 percent (or some other percentage) immediately to see the difference.

I also have code to run the lights based on the Seasonal Table sunrise and sunsets. I don't own the Apollo's so I don't know how the moonlights get worked into this, but if someone can explain it(are they on their own variable speed port?) I can right the code for them too.

If you ramp to a certain intensity and want to keep that intensity all day then you don't need a MIDDAY profile
While this is true, the best practice is to utilize a mid-day or constant intensity value profile (start and end intensities set to the same value) for the bulk of the daily lighting time. Let's take a look at a couple of different scenarios.
Set OFF
If Time 08:00 to 09:00 then RampUP
If Time 18:00 to 19:00 then RampDown
With the above code, the end intensity configured in the RampUp profile will be maintained until 1800 when the RampDown kicks in - as long as nothing disrupts the cycle, such as the Apex being restarted due to a power blip. If that happens anytime between 0800 and 0900, the ramp up will start over again. If the disruption occurs between 0901 and 1759, the lights will be shut off and stay off until RampDown activates at 1800... far from ideal.
Set OFF
If Time 08:00 to 17:59 then RampUP
With the above code, the end intensity configured in the RampUp profile will be maintained until 1800 when the RampDown kicks in... a long as nothing disrupts the cycle, such as the Apex rebooting. If that happens anytime between 0800 and 1759, the ramp up will start over again. Not as bad as Scenario 1, but once again, not really what we'd want.
Set OFF
If Time 08:00 to 08:59 then RampUP
If Time 09:00 to 17:59 then Daytime
With this final scenario, if a disruption occurs between 9AM and 6PM, the Daytime profile will just resume right where it left off. This is the best case, having the least impact on the lighting schedule.

Last edited:
Back