How do you catch a tang?

minesinger

I've had a yellow tang for several months now. My wife really wanted to have a purple tang.. I researched the issue and found varing opinions as to their sutability together. My lfs got a couple in and so I thought I'd give it a go. Long story short... The yellow will not leave the purple alone for 1 minute. I'd like to switch them out and have been trying to catch the yellow, but I'm finding it impossible. (do you know they are both fast and smart?) Meanwhile I have relocated the purple to my sump for safety. Does anyone have a good way to catch a tang?

bait & Hook, drain water out of DT till catching is manageable or fish trap. Worst thing you can do is chase it with a net IMO.

wait until the middle of the night and turn on the lights, shocks the fish and before they know what is going on they are in the net.

If that does not work, you most likely will have to drain and remove much of the water/rock etc. to catch the fish; a fish trap probably will not work .

Has anyone tried the saran wrap method? Basically you put a piece of clear saran wrap into the water column and chase the fish into it, the plastic should go around the fish.

It seems like it would work great on fish that like to be up in the water column, but everything I've needed to catch lately dives into a rock.

Let a net hang in the water where he is used to eating for about a week, long enough for him to get comfortable with it. Clip some nori in the tank near the net and then pin him against the glass with the net. Worked for me about a week ago with a powder brown tang.

Tried the saran wrap method for about 2 hours this evening.... I caught the purple tang (the one I want in the tank) 3 times...the yellow is just too inteligent for it. I will tell you it did work for the dumb *** fish. If your fish is stupid the saran wrap trick works.

I think I'll move on to the baited net trick while I wait on a fish trap by mail.

I never realized fish could raise your blood pressure soo much. Isn't the whole point of having these fish to be relaxing and enjoyable.. Not working for me at the moment.

The Department of Nautural Resources in my area uses some type of shock system which stuns fish in order to count them in the rivers...seems like you could do the same if you could determine what voltage would work without killing everything. Not my cup of tea, but someone with more electrical knowledge and a death wish for their fish might be able to work it out.

This is what I did

This is what I did

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12257250#post12257250 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by woodycb
Let a net hang in the water where he is used to eating for about a week, long enough for him to get comfortable with it. Clip some nori in the tank near the net and then pin him against the glass with the net. Worked for me about a week ago with a powder brown tang.

To get out a bully sohal tang:)

168268_lg.jpg

Barb-less trout hook. A hook in their lip is less stressful than chasing it with a net. I know it sounds like "what?!" but yes, it's caught fish for eons! :p

Success!!

Success!!

I got him!! I actually am smarter than that damn fish... I was begining to wonder.

This system was much more relaxing than chasing him around the tank..

I went to Lowes and bought a $8 Brita water filter, a couple pieces of 1/8" plexi glass, and some super glue. I made a $15 Brita Fish Catcher.

173811Fish_Trap_1.jpg

173811Fish_Trap_2.jpg

173811Fish_Trap_3.jpg

173811Fish_Trap_4.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/173811Fish_Trap_5.jpg

First, I put a piece of nori in the catcher...didn't work for 5 hrs... I added some brine shrimp in the back of it and....Whamo!...caught fish within 5 minutes.

Back