How do you feed Seaweed?

wojo

Hey fellow reefers, i was told i should have seaweed in my tank available to my tangs at all times, so i bought some. I hanged on the side wall using the special Nemo clipper (this thing sucks colorwise, why cant they make them black :confused: ) but none of my tangs even look at it, lol. its been there since yesterday (i replaced it once) and nothing.

how do you feed it to your tangs?

Try attaching to a piece of rubble rock using a rubberband. That should get them interested in it. When they get to eating it for a day or two go back to the clip.

Fish quite often take a while to get used to it as a source of food. Once they do they usually love it. I don't belive its true that you must feed seaweed, no doubt some of the vegi-based flake food are probably much better nutritionally.

i use Ocean Nutrition Algae Seaweeds Selects myself. they come with a clip in every pack. i recieved one that was red. my powder blue tang will not eat from that thing EVER. so now when i pick up a new pack from the LFS i make sure it doesnt have a red one in there. i have seen the "Nemo" ones and didnt even think about trying it :D.

using the rubberband trick will work as well. even placing a peice between two chunks of LR will work. they will eventually eat it from the clip.

My tangs had no interest in the clip at first. My LFS told me to burry the clip in the sand so the sea weed would move around in the water and get their attention. The tangs went for it in a few hours, and I moved it to the wall two days later.

Chris

I have a piece of PVC that I dangle from from the canopy with a piece of string and roll nori around it and hold it there with a rubber band. Fish seem to enjoy it because it is always moving. keep the fish on their toes.... Errr I mean fins.

i just put it on my magnet cleaner
they devour it in 20 mins

at first they wont touch it
give em a few days
then you will see them pig out on it

My Seaweed Selects came with a blue clip. I don't remember vividly, but I think at first my Desjardini Sailfin Tang saw it and didn't know what it was even with the seaweed strip. Then after my Six Line Wrass had been nibbling on the seaweed strip my tang joined the Six Line Wrasse. This was all within a 5 hour period. Now I have no problems and the tang still jointly eats the seaweed with the Wrasse. The Wrasse is usually the first to spot a new strip because this fish swims all over the tank and doesn't even hide when I stick my hands in the tank to put the seaweed in the clip.

I used nori on a magnet cleaner and it worked well for me. It took my tang perhaps a few days to realize what it was then after that it didn't last more than 20 minutes.

Back