How do you guys mix and dose kalk?

sinful

I've always used it in my ATO and it makes an absolute mess in my sump. I barely use any kalk either, maybe two tablespoons in a 5gallon jug of ro/di topoff. It just doesn't seem like it mixes well, the bulk reef stuff.

Is this just a trait of kalk or am I doing something wrong, mixing wrong, dosing wrong, have bad kalk?

I'm OCD on clean equipment and can't take the mess this stuff makes

You let it settle all the way before dosing correct? It should take a couple hours before its ready. And you are suspending the dosing tube in the container so it isn't sucking up kalk water from the bottom of the container correct?

If it is not mixing well try adding small increments of kalk to water that you are already stirring vigorously.

I use the same brand kalk, A bit less at 3/4 tsp per gallon but its mixes very well and never fogs the tank or sump.

I use brs, 1/4 cup and about a cup of vinegar in a 5 gallon jug. Mix well and let settle. Haven't had any issues

I only got residue if dosed via a gravity fed float switch. It crusts up where it reacts with air, causing issues with the float.

If you are seeing residue, perhaps you are dosing too quickly and causing it to precipitate.

Back