How do you use a dosing pump to replace your evap when away for almost a month?

plancton

Sometimes I can go away on vacations for almost a month, how could you program a dosing pump or something when you are away for almost a month in order to replenish evap and not overfill your tank or something?

Has anyone actually done it?

You construct or purchase an ATO (auto top off) system.
They utilize a sensor (float switch or optical) to detect the water level in the return pump section of your sump or the level of your display tank if you have no sump..
When the water levels drops.. It turns a pump on thus refilling the tank until the sensor detects the proper water level and shuts the pump off..

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auto-top-off.html

I know that, but how do you use a dosing pump alone without an ATO sensor to replenish evap? Just the dosing pump, not an ATO...

You construct or purchase an ATO (auto top off) system.
They utilize a sensor (float switch or optical) to detect the water level in the return pump section of your sump or the level of your display tank if you have no sump..
When the water levels drops.. It turns a pump on thus refilling the tank until the sensor detects the proper water level and shuts the pump off..

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auto-top-off.html

That is an extremely bad idea. The amount that evaporates varies every day.
Go with what mcgyvr said.

Evaporation rates do change so I never recommend doing this BUT..

You can set the dosing pump on a timer so that it pumps enough water into the tank to keep up with the current evaporation rate..
The big problem though is that if that evaporation rate changes (and it will) the time you found worked fine before will not work now and you either end up putting in too much or too little water..

So its not a smart idea to top off based on time vs feedback from sensors..

Its quite easy/cheap to use a float switch to trigger a relay which in turn turns your dosing pump on when needed..
Thats this kit if you don't want to nor know how to piece together the parts on your own..
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquahub-diy-top-it-off-kit-premium.html

The more expensive kits are just all put together for you and may have additional features..

Sorry to say, but if you want to have a tank that is automated enough to regulate it's own salinity for a month+, you're going to have to pay for it. Or you can find a reefer friend and have them check on your tank for you while you're away. They probably wouldn't want to have to figure out you're top off situation though if you don't have ATO. Well worth the $! you'll love it even when you're home because you won't have to worry about salinity or topping off any more. I waited 3 years after starting my tank before I finally bought one. Wish I had done it on day 1. I was always too cheap though. I probably could have bought one with all of the money I wasted trying to find a cheaper way to do it.

I don't touch my ATO for months. Here is my set up w/an APEX.
I have a 50 gallon RO/DI tank, this feeds a 2 gallon ATO container, a Tunze ATO
The RO tank is controlled by Avast Marine Barrel Tender to refill automatically with RO/DI.
When the ATO adds water to the tank, the APEX turns on a pump (currently a Cole Palmer, but use to use a litermeter) to fill the ATO container.
The fail safe is Tunze will only run for a specific amount of time and I only have about 2 gallons in the ATO. When I do go away for a long period of time, I just have someone check once a week. So far this set up hasn't had issues other then manual ones...

You would have to calculate your daily evaporation, basically measuring it based on how much water you add daily. Then set up a dosing pump to dose that much every day. However, daily evaporation rates vary. There will be days you will end up over adding water, and other days you won't be adding enough. There are so many well reputed ATO's available it doesn't seem worth it to not use one.

I don't touch my ATO for months. Here is my set up w/an APEX.
I have a 50 gallon RO/DI tank, this feeds a 2 gallon ATO container, a Tunze ATO
The RO tank is controlled by Avast Marine Barrel Tender to refill automatically with RO/DI.
When the ATO adds water to the tank, the APEX turns on a pump (currently a Cole Palmer, but use to use a litermeter) to fill the ATO container.
The fail safe is Tunze will only run for a specific amount of time and I only have about 2 gallons in the ATO. When I do go away for a long period of time, I just have someone check once a week. So far this set up hasn't had issues other then manual ones...

^^.. ha ha.. nothing like bragging about your multi-hundred dollar setup to a guy that doesn't even want to run any real ATO setup due to cost..

^^.. ha ha.. nothing like bragging about your multi-hundred dollar setup to a guy that doesn't even want to run any real ATO setup due to cost..

I didnt touch my ATO for months as well. Its now the responsibility of my butler to top of the tank. Much more reliable than a float switch.

lol. :debi: I didn't see any comment about cost, just limited equipement.
Yes, hiring a butler or kid to to it could be cheaper :thumbsup:

ATO is cheap and fool proof. Get an ATO at autotopoff.com have it connected to a 10G pale next to sump. I use aqualifter on top of pale to keep sump topped off. 10g Pale is kept full by boosterpump solenoid and float to 10g pale from ro/di filter.

If your smart, you add an avast kalk reactor to ATO

You could also use a 5 G pale or bucket for fresh water storage. That way if system fails and sticks open, tank will never be flooded beofre4 you catch it.

bad idea
i wa forced to use my litermeter for top off when my ato malfunctioned right before I went on vacation for a month.
very stressful and anxiety ridden while I was away.

replaced my ato with osmolator.

ahh i can relax again.

reliable ato.... priceless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gravity feed float valve is the most simple solution of all and doesn't even require a pump...

My setup:

(1) Small pump connected to Apex to turn on one minute once per day. Adds about a gallon a day which is very close to match evaporation rate.

(2) Cloud or internet connected webcam inside sump to look at water level. I also have another webcam looking at tank just to check if everything is ok.

(3) Remotely look at water level on phone app and manually dose more or adjust pump on time via Apex Fusion.

For a shorter vacation time, I just hook up pump to a cheap and reliable lamp timer and set it to turn on one minute once per day. After 4d water level in sump may be lower by an inch than normal but still sufficient.

Also consider getting some glass cut to fit the top of the tank. I get it real cheap at the hardware store. They cut it to any size you want. Takes the load off how much water you'll need to have.

Yeah the ato is the easy part. Have enough rodi to last the month is the problem. You can leave the rodi on to fill the storage tank but floats valves do fail. I added one of the cutoff/ leak detectors from brs to kill the water to the rodi unit, but a month? Much better off paying someone to take care of it for you, and if they careful mush safer too.

Back