How many clownfish can i put in a 75gallon setup ?

POTRING

Hi guys! just have some questions here:

1.) How many clownfish can i put in a 75g tank?

2.) Is it safe to put 15 pcs of different sizes and kinds of clownfish in just one tank?:D

can you give me guys advices regarding my queries, co'z right now i have 15 different sizes and kinds of clownfish in my tank have a pair of snowflakes, pair picasso, 2 pair of black percs which is 2 sizes, 1 true percs, a pair of premium onyx, pair of onyx, and a pair of black snowflakes :lolspin::D

as of now their still cool and no fighting yet happens, but don't know in the long run what will happens next that's what i'm afraid of :uhoh2:

hope you guys can help me with this, any suggestions or comments would highly be appreciated! TIA:D:D

It may work for a little while, but eventually they'll begin spawning and turn on each other. One pair per tank is the rule. If you look through the forum you'll see that this question has been answered numerous times. Reading those threads will give you a lot of information. Best of luck.

Last edited:
With that many clowns in a 75 there must not be any room for them to move around with their big shoes and all. Also, I hope you have a good skimmer to pull out their extra makeup and loose hairs from their wigs.

I would say one pair per tank as many people have stated you might be ok for awhile but eventually it will turn to Armageddon

First of all you have only two kinds of clown in your tank. You have A. percula and A. ocellaris and maybe a hybrid between the two.

You might be able to keep two pairs in a 75 gal. depending on how you set it up, but as previously stated, once they start to pair up, it is very likely that the smaller clowns will start to get harassed to the point of them dying.

I tried 2 pair in a 240,a 8' tank.It lasted about an hour until all heck broke loose.It might work short time,but like others have said when they pair up they will most likely become aggressive.

what store allowed you to buy all those clowns and put them in the same tank? rule of thumb is one pair per tank, some have had success with 2 or more, but its not that often.
it will be quiet for a few weeks, but when they start pairing up the fireworks will start and some sill be killed by the more dominate pairs. i would take a few back so you dont loose so much money on them. you have a few hundred buck in clowns and it will be a shame when some of them die.

thanks for the tips guys highly appreciate it. actually i'm new in this hobby so really don't have any idea regarding fishes specially clownfish, actually didn't bought it in a petshop or local fish store, just got it from different guys here, well maybe on the latter part will the problem occur right now their still at the juvenile stage biggest is around 2 to 3 inches tip to tip if i'm right maybe two fishes that size. but right now i'm already thinking of building a new tank which suits them 15gal to 20gal a pair. sorry for being ignorant in putting so much clownfish in one tank and thanks very much for the tips and advices you gave me. since i'm new in this forum haven't browse that much all the threads here.
more power to RC and to you guys

I had 3 very small cinnamon clowns and 2 very small tomato clowns in a 75g tank with several anemones and no other fish. Over the course of 10 months I was down to a female cinnamon and a male tomato who are now a mated pair.

Don't wait very long or you'll start finding fish missing or dead on the floor!

I have a friend that has had 4 clowns in his 75g tank for some time now. No all out wars yet. It's been at least 7 months, so not much time in the grand scheme of things.

It's a crap shoot. I had 75G tank with a dominant tomato clown, and it attacked and killed a percula.

I donated the tomato and got a skunk clown and percula, and they get along.

Tomato's are naughty fish tho. I wouldn't expect them to last with other clowns.

The guy I referred to has either occy's or perc's. Not sure which ones exactly. Both have comparable temperament though.

Well if u arrange your aquascape so you have almost a wall in the center and have a nem on both sides you can have two pairs, one on either side and they shouldn't leave their nem far enough to see each other. Otherwise good luck avoiding a battle royal.

How many skunk clowns can I put in a 6', 150 gallon tank with mag/ritteri anemones? Are they as territorial as ocell., percs, and the like? I was hoping to do a large school of pink and orange skunk clowns.

IME pink skunks are not as aggressive as tomatos. They're comparable to false perculas.

But ultimately it's the luck of the draw. Fish are individuals with individual personalities, you never know what you'll get. Also depends on their size and when they're introduced

Yes, you can keep a group of clownfish.

I have a 75 gal that's dominated by RBTA and there are 20 or so clownfish. 10 black ocellaris, and 10 oranges. They were all added as babies, and in the two years they've been together, there is a dominant pair of black and whites, but they do not chase or fight with any of the other clownfish in the tank. there are also gobies and a foxface in this tank.

What Chad is describing above is the only way that you can keep a large group of clowns together over any period of time. That is, from the same clutch or so tiny they act like they are. I don't think that's what the OP is describing, since he said he accumulated them from different hobbyists.

Almost all successful multi clown tanks are when there are multiple nems and the clowns are added together and very small as possible. One pair will mature and the others willl not. I think the best clowns to have multiple of are skunks. Since they are seen in the wild alot in a large nem as a community.
A 150 g with multiple carpets or bta's with a bunch skunks.
I would get a pink, magenta, orange, Blackfoot and sunkist skunk pairs. Would be a beautiful tank

I'd like to have two clowns in a 75g, but not two orange ocellaris and I'm not extremely fond of the black ocellaris. Is there another low priced clown to pair with the orange ocellaris that will get along? I don't have any other fish yet as i just got done with the ole initial cycle, but won't add anything aggressive.

Back