How many clowns can you fit ????

Oceanflores

So I purchased 9 very small clowns about 3 yrs ago. I placed them in my 75g mixed reef with 20 g sump. All amount same age and a few different variations. I think I lost 2 within a month. Then had 7 for about a year and then sold 2. Since then I have maintained the remaining 5 and a pair are now tending to eggs(food). They seem to all have the place in the hierarchy.

Question: Will this last ? Or should I reduce by 2 or 3 ?

Please share your experience.

I haven’t seen many harem tanks but they do exist. One of my LFS has a 210 or so with probably 50-60 clowns and have had it for years.

That said, if it’s working, I don’t see a need to change unless you’re having issues adding new fish or there’s aggression

If all is good, just stay where you are. All that can change though. How many times have they laid eggs. If only a few then they will most likely just be food. They'll start doing it once a month. After it slows down, they'll start getting more protective. At that point things "may" change.

I had 55 clowns in a 180g with 60bta's. All the clowns were from the same "family" hatch group, etc... so all were already together and same size. I was able to buy from a breeder. Need lots of room for them to avoid agression.

Back