How much money have you spent on your main tank?

I'm figuring between 20-25k between both tanks over the last 5 yrs.
Please don't ask how much it would sell for........

Id guess around $2200 in my 33gal, including livestock. I try to find a balance between price and quality. Some things I will buy cheap knockoffs (imitation Lumen Arc, cheap electronic balalst), whereas other things Ill pay for the quality, like with my MP40w. Once my frag tank is up and running, Im hoping to do a bit of propogation to try to relieve the constant outflow of money that this hobby creates :)

Im planning a 240gal at the moment, and I cringe every time I look at the excel spreadsheet haha.

Last edited:
Breaking down that cost would make a grown man cry. Don't go there.

I don't even have a flashy SPS dominated tank and I bet it's over $20k. Shipping from the US adds on an extra 25% for me. Here's a breakdown not including price:

Tank
Sump
Lights/Hood/Ballasts
Pumps
Moar Pumps
Powerheads (Tunze/Vortechs)
Skimmer
RODI System
Calcium Reactor

Then there's test kits, food, medications, additives. Then:

Live Rock
Coral
Fish

Ongoing cost of:

Electricity Bill
Salt
Replacement Parts

Some people have a fancy Controller etc.

Actually I'm going to have a stab at adding it up. Haven't cried since I was like 7.

Lets see. I have a 160 gal tank from AGE, the stand and tank alone cost 3300. My skimmer another grand, lighting, around 1200, pumps, sump, heaters, controller, RO/DI, etc, probably another grand. Then the live stock...at least a few thousand more.
Easily 10K + on my tank, and I'm still not 100% happy with it.

its the same here, when i go to the store i dont look at the total, and its seems like i cant control the way i spend.

It hurts when Im thinking about it. Imagine just the live stock along that I have lost over the years DAng it really hurts. Bc of this I stop keeping track of $$$ But it is so freaking addicting... I need to go to the rehap center. Are there any? its hard to quit this hobbby...lol

i quit counting so my wife doesn't know. i have almost as much if not more in my fish and coral as i do in my tank and equipment. it is 280 gal display

so far I've got over $2k in my 57 rimless in equipment, and another $3g in my 20g(corals included) and the corals will not even make a dent in filling the 57, I dont even want to think about the 10,000+ gallon green house or the 375 I have planned for later this year(2010) I justify it in my mind by telling myself I can always frag some and make my money back(like that ever works out):lolspin:

everytime i buy something new she doesnt really talk to me for a day or so then she gets over it..i think i might start trying to take her out to eat and a movie then stop in at my lfs store...you guy think i should do it before i stop or after....or neither

Wow, $20k? That is a lot of money... I only spent $1500 :lol: that is what i told the wife. If i told her my entire tank cost $20k i think she will file a divorce the very next day :D

So far, I have 3,000 in a new 180 gal, don't have the lights yet, that will be a thousand. I have to post 50 times to reopen the used equipment part of the forum, kind of a stupid rule for people buying, I understand the seller.

DSC02249.jpg

do i have to figure in this part?

Back