How much money have you spent on your main tank?

I'll play
120 gallon and 4-5 grand so far.....Just starting SPS now though. stopped telling my wife when I broke 1500.." they are just frags honey they are cheep":rollface:

just yesterday on black friday i spent over 2k on fish and i havent even got my black or gem tang yet. i got all my other 20 tangs. who said it can be done?? with like 30 fish in a 320 gallon. i think im goin to be upgrading to 1200 gallon sooner than i think. 30 or so fish in a 320 gallon tank dont give them much room =( lol

Just wondering how much this hobby is going to cost me over time...im 5G in on my 500gal and it makes me cry sometimes..but i love it and its addicting..:eek:

I have not read the rest of the thread, but WOW, just 5K on a 500 gallon? Thats amazing, I'm planning 195 gallon and am currently looking at around 8K which includes everything even down to scrub brushes and test kits.

I dont have a huge reef tank, I did have a 40 gallon reef that I estimate I sunk around 3K-4K in equipment and live stock into. That doesn't include upkeep costs and regular maintenance. If you figure that in, over the 3+ years I had it, you can probably double the 3K.

Im currently planning a 195 gallon tank and am looking at 8K start up costs which will include all necessary equipment and put water, rock and sand into the tank. That doesnt cover livestock after setup.

a little over 150 on corals and accesories because i have a awesome brother who bought me an entire set up for my birthday :D

yes i know 5 grand isnt much for a 500gal tank..but i didnt say i was stopping there..just wanted to see what some of you have spent on your tanks..this is a turning into a hobby that i love to hate...

We did everthing diy, built the steel stand, elevator to fish room, linear actuator on back side of tank,dug and poured fish room under house, etc. I hate to think if we would have hired someone to do it with the amount of hours invloved. I have about 8k in my set up with livestock and corals. And yes we would do it all over again and probably spend more.

Mike

Good thing I don't care much about diamonds or fancy sports cars! IMO you can't really put a price tag on your tank. I think the motto of paying for the largest set-up you can afford/have room for is good. Many of us in the hobby upgrade tank sizes, and that's were you end-up spending more $$ with upgrades in equipment, lighting, etc.,

I picked up a tank a couple months ago for $1000.
Been in the hobby since 2004. We have an awesome community in San Diego and equipment is extremely cheap here, especially lately. If it wasn't for SDreefs.com I'd never go over a 20 gallon.

vxU3ml.jpg

Tank, Stand, Canopy, Live Rock, Live Sand, Sump, 8x54W T5, 1000W Heater, 5" Hippo Tang, 3" Gold Rim Tang, 2" Cherub Angel = $1000
2x Koralia 3 = $50
2x Koralia 4 = $40
Mak 4 Return Pump = $45
Plumbing = $60
150 Nass Snails = $10

Planned Purchases:
Add 8x54 T5s or 3x250 MH = ~$300-$500
RKL with attachments = $350
Fish = ~$500
Coral = ~$700
LED dawn/dusk system = $100
Turnkey WC system = $20 in plumbing