How to attach a skimmer cup to a diy skimmer?

abomb

I'm building a diy skimmer and I had a few questions on how I could attach the cup to the main body. The top of the skimmer and the bottom of the cup both have a 1" lip that I want to put a gasket material in. What is the best material for that and where do you get it? Next I was thinking about using plastic screws every couple of inches but that would be a pain when I want to take it off. Is there any type of plastic clip or quick release mechanism that anyone has seen? Thanks.

I glued a modified (I cut 1" off of one side) pvc coupling to my cup bottom.

By putting a small piece of the coupling on the inside of the skimmer cup, I effectively sandwiched the cup into place. I now have a 3" coupling that I friction fit onto my skimmer body.

Dale

I glued a modified (I cut 1" off of one side) pvc coupling to my cup bottom.

By putting a small piece of the coupling on the inside of the skimmer cup, I effectively sandwiched the cup into place. I now have a 3" coupling that I friction fit onto my skimmer body.

I'm really trying figure out how you did this. I even took out a bunch of couplings and tried to visualize how I could make this work on my skimmer. I love off the wall diy ideas like this. But I just can't figure it out. could you please explain it better or if you can take some pics!

87029DSCF0002.jpg

This photo shows the pieces. For representation, I used a 4" pipe and 3" pipe. Use a coupler fitting sized to match your pipe. Cut a small section off of 1 end. That small section will be inside the cup. Cut a hole in teh bottom of the cup to just allow the pipe to slide all the way through. The pipe will be inserted from inside the cup through the ring, through the bottom of the cup, and into the socket.

87029DSCF0001.jpg

This shows the layout.

When finished, you will have a female socket that will friction fit onto a pipe of matching size.

Dale

Back