Skimz protein skimmer silencer issue

BL1

I’ve got an old Skimz 181 skimmer that I’m trying to repurpose in my new tank. The pump and everything still work fine but, the delrin screw for the silencer doesn’t screw in enough to actually tune the skimmer. I’ve attached the best pic I could get to show the gap between the screw.

What’s the easiest way to fix this?

Don’t see a picture, can you retry? I’m not familiar with this skimmer.

Don’t see a picture, can you retry? I’m not familiar with this skimmer.
That was my bad, I don’t think it fully loaded before I hit the post button.

Attachments

• 2045CB54-9F31-4FB6-AB96-21A8EEBE4F6D.jpeg
    2045CB54-9F31-4FB6-AB96-21A8EEBE4F6D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 16
Is the screw or hole stripped? It looks like it’s screwed in all the way to me???? I don’t know that I’ll be much help as I’ve never seen that on a skimmer, but I’ll try. So,what exactly is your skimmer doing wrong?

I have a Skimz skimmer with a similar silencer. My screw is long enough to completely block the tube with a couple of threads left.

Usually, I back the screw out completely and make all adjustments with the valve or the DC pump. The only time I use the screw is when I use some epoxy and the skimmer goes crazy.

That said, Lowes or Home Depot usually has a fair assortment of nylon screws. You could file or sand a point onto one.

I have a Skimz skimmer with a similar silencer. My screw is long enough to completely block the tube with a couple of threads left.

Usually, I back the screw out completely and make all adjustments with the valve or the DC pump. The only time I use the screw is when I use some epoxy and the skimmer goes crazy.

That said, Lowes or Home Depot usually has a fair assortment of nylon screws. You could file or sand a point onto one.
I haven’t run this skimmer in probably 10 years so it’s hard to remember exactly how it ran before but with that screw not closing the valve it’s obnoxiously loud. If I use my finger to seal the silencer it’s almost completely silent.

I haven’t run this skimmer in probably 10 years so it’s hard to remember exactly how it ran before but with that screw not closing the valve it’s obnoxiously loud. If I use my finger to seal the silencer it’s almost completely silent.

My mind. Jeez. I completely forgot that I had added a separate valve between the silencer and the venturi, but I don't recall much noise coming from the silencer - just a slight hiss.

I added the valve because the screw adjustment was too coarse. I was able to get a more stable foam after adding it.

Amazon valve

Reactions: BL1
My mind. Jeez. I completely forgot that I had added a separate valve between the silencer and the venturi, but I don't recall much noise coming from the silencer - just a slight hiss.

I added the valve because the screw adjustment was too coarse. I was able to get a more stable foam after adding it.

Amazon valve
That’s awesome, and should work perfectly. I ordered one, should be here Friday.

Back