How to clean a Tunze pump and what to do about a driver alarm.

Yes, but please be aware that very little can be done for a 6100 as the motors and drivers have not been available since 2009. In general repair will be with used parts if possible or an upgrade to a 6105 which is about $200. Be sure to include a note with return address and phone number.

On newer 6000, 6100, 6200 and wavebox pumps this one piece drive unit is used. It can be retrofitted on older pumps though it can be slightly noisier. You can expect the noise to be + or - a few db over the 6100.60, it varies with the age and wear of your existing pump. It is stronger and easier to clean but the main reason for the change was to speed up production. These drive units CANNOT be use on a 6060 or 6080. Parts 6100.70 are for 6000 and 6100 and 6200.70 is for the 6200 and wavebox.

787Drive-unit-6100_70-and-6200.jpg

7876100_70-Dissaseembled.jpg

Thanks for your help Roger. My pump 6105 is still not working despite receiving the tiny control box from Xenia. I just bought the pump used and not being familiar with the product"¦I happened to notice that the pump does not have the o ring on the far left of the pic as well as the black "collar" on the far right
Far right of the pic. Could this be a potential cause for the pump to not function (I am assuming yes)"¦as well as being the cause for the power supply light to flash or dim when the pump is connected??

6105 is completely different design, the parts shown above would not be present. A picture of what you have would be helpful as there are two drive unit designs for the 6105 one pre Nov 2011, and one since. The basic drive unit is the same but the shaft is different, removable in the older ones and permanently fixed in the motor in later ones.

If the drive unit spins freely on the shaft, they should not be fused together, when fully assembled the shaft does not spin, the magnet spins on the shaft, then the motor is dead and needs to be replaced. Based on the pictures I would estimate the pump is from 2009, by late 2009 the disk was different and by mid 2010 the propeller was blue.

If the drive unit spins freely on the shaft, they should not be fused together, when fully assembled the shaft does not spin, the magnet spins on the shaft, then the motor is dead and needs to be replaced. Based on the pictures I would estimate the pump is from 2009, by late 2009 the disk was different and by mid 2010 the propeller was blue.

Sorry Roger......not sure if there are typos in your response.....just talk to me like i'm 5...LOL
Do you mean...'when fully assembled if the shaft does not spin and the magnet spins on the shaft...then the motor is dead ?

Sorry, it was an incomplete thought.

Basically, check the drive unit, if it is free spinning on the shaft, the motor must be dead. If it is stuck to the shaft, free it and try again. You should be able to remove a blue bushing from the end of the shaft, and take the magnet and propeller off, if it is stuck, this could well be the problem.

Hi Roger , i have 2 Tunze 6100. One pump makes the beep sound even after soaking and cleaning. It looks like the propeller tries to jump when i plug it in but then does not move and starts the beep.

Need advice on what to do next

Ty

jeff

Unless the issue is just the propeller assembly being damaged, like cracked magnet or bad bushing or the bottom bushing being installed wrong so the oring is on top of it instead of under it, the problem is essentially terminal and it will need to be replaced. The motor and driver are no longer available, these pumps are now all at least 8 years old and have done there time. If the driver gets hot it is the driver, if it does not, it is the motor. The only parts you could find would be used and on numbered days.

ok , I'm sure i have it put together correctly,

this pump is going in the garbage if its put together correctly and still not working?

Unfortunately, yes, DC pumps generally last 5-10 years at most and that is if they are very well designed. AC pumps can last decades, not so when you add the electronics into the mix. Since the parts are no longer available and even if they were it would be hard to justify a $100-$120 part on something this old when you can buy a brand new 6105 for $285.

They include a much nicer magnet holder, but you could get an adapter and use the old one.

Back