How to clean out sump after using mesh filter socks

ksicard

Hey all,
I was originally using felt filter socks but they were clogging in 2 days on my system, so I gave mesh filter socks a try. After 10 days of using the mesh socks I now have a crap load of crap in my sump. How does one clean out a sump without having to rip the whole thing out from under the tank? I can't siphon anything out since gravity is working against me. I would appreciate some advice on how to clean the sump out.

On a side note, does anyone have any recommendations for a more convenient way of mechanical filtration? The felt filter socks work great but I can't stand having to change them 3-4x a week. I have a RS-33 sump from Elite Aquatics and it uses the smaller filter socks so the felt ones will clog pretty quick. And like I mentioned I tried using mesh socks but now I have a whole bunch of debri all throughout the sump, which will become a problem if I run them permanently. Is there a middle ground between felt and mesh that will clog less frequently and still keep the sump free of debri?

Some power heads can be converted into a vacuum by putting some vinyl hosing on one end. Shop-vacs are pretty popular too. GL.

This wet/dry vac was previously recommended. Not bad at under $39.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_27&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Is there a better shop vac that I would prefer over the one in the link? I don't want to purchase one that isn't strong enough or may not be big enough for the job. I'm willing to spend up to $50 or so on it. This seems like a practical way to keep the sump clean.

Would this one be more practical?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006EHYDTM?psc=1

Filter bags come in different micron ratings and sizes. Are you using 4" or 7" bag. If 4" try 7" bags, if that doesn't help increasing the micron size may buy you a few days.

Nevertheless, they are doing what the are designed to do. ;) Keep in mind, the longer the trapped detritus is in your system the more opportunity it has to break down to nitrates and phosphates. Changing bags every few day is what I do for that reason, regardless if they're clogged or not. Mesh bags seem rather pointless unless you're trying to catch an inhabitant that made its way into the drain which shouldn't be happening if your overflow is protected.

For clean out.... every 6 months I would pull my equipment from the sump to clean it. I would leave the tank water in there while I scrap the sump walls and baffles then pump the water out. I would finish it off with the BucketVac sold at the Home Depot. It's cheap and fits on a 5 gallon bucket.

I keep an old canister filter around for this. Stuff it full of filter floss, vacuum the sump with the water going back to the sump, since everything is still running, and you are not removing water, you can take all the time you want.

After, just throw the floss away. I get the cheap stuff they sell at a craft store.

Plus having a canister filter around, in an emergency you can use it as a temporary reactor for GFO, Carbon, whatever.

I use a MJ1200 with some (I think) 5/8" hose on the intake, about a 4" piece, and run a hose off the nozzle to a fine sock.

Or more recently I've stuck a hose just inside the inlet to my skimmer and let it do the crap-sucking for me. Treating it like a vacuum works surprisingly well, provided you don't have anything too granular which will crud up your needle wheel. If you have a hose with an ID that is close but not a good fit, leave a quarter inch or so of hose but then put a few wraps of electrical tape to fill the void. I've done that before and it works well. Plus then you don't have a wet vac laying around, just a 2-3' piece of hose. And who among us doesn't have sections of hose laying around?

Filter bags come in different micron ratings and sizes. Are you using 4" or 7" bag. If 4" try 7" bags, if that doesn't help increasing the micron size may buy you a few days.

Nevertheless, they are doing what the are designed to do. ;) Keep in mind, the longer the trapped detritus is in your system the more opportunity it has to break down to nitrates and phosphates. Changing bags every few day is what I do for that reason, regardless if they're clogged or not. Mesh bags seem rather pointless unless you're trying to catch an inhabitant that made its way into the drain which shouldn't be happening if your overflow is protected.

For clean out.... every 6 months I would pull my equipment from the sump to clean it. I would leave the tank water in there while I scrap the sump walls and baffles then pump the water out. I would finish it off with the BucketVac sold at the Home Depot. It's cheap and fits on a 5 gallon bucket.

I cant use 7" socks on my sump. I have an Elite Aquatics RS-33 sump and its built for 4" socks. Do they make 300 or 400 micron size felt filter socks? I checked on bulk reef supply and they only sell 200 and 100 micron socks.

Thanks for the tip on the dry/wet vac from home depot, I'll pick one up since they seem like they would be handy to have around.

Depends where you look. Don't limit yourself to BRS. 3M sells bulk boxes of anywhere from 1 micron to 1000 micron socks in various lengths and materials and rings (steel or nylon).

I work in the coatings industry; we use them as filters in paint manufacturing.

If it is just detritus, then add a crab to the sump. They will clean it up, and keep it clean for you. That is what I do.

I usually just use a power head and stir everything up in my sump right before a water change. Most of the detritus gets pumped up into the DT and then I blast my rocks, stir up the sand bed etc. Some of it gets removed when I siphon out the water and the rest is usually removed via a filter sock on the way back down. Because this is done every week though, there's really nothing down there to begin with. ;)

I vacuum the bottom of my sump when I do my monthly water change. I only need to take out a few gallons to get most of the crud out.

I cant use 7" socks on my sump. I have an Elite Aquatics RS-33 sump and its built for 4" socks. Do they make 300 or 400 micron size felt filter socks? I checked on bulk reef supply and they only sell 200 and 100 micron socks.

Thanks for the tip on the dry/wet vac from home depot, I'll pick one up since they seem like they would be handy to have around.

How big is your tank? The 4" sock is your problem. It's just too small. You could also make your own socks. Pretty easy to do and you can make the rim 4" but with a 7" body. Just something too consider.

The tank is a 150 DT w/ a 35g frag tank plumbed inline to the same sump, roughly about a 200g system total.

I actually made some real progress on correcting the issue. I was looking at my tank the other night trying to think of ways to fix my micro bubble issue as well as the detrius issue. I was looking at my sump and realized I had quite a bit of flow running threw the sump. I turned the ball valve much more closed going to the main DT and after a little while all my micro bubbles were gone. I also got the idea that maybe with the slower flow that my socks should clog cless frequently so I removed the mesh socks and popped the felt socks in on sunday and there is a big difference. The felt socks with the previous flow would have been overflowing by monday night or so and just visually looking at the socks i'm gonna be able to squeeze 4-5 days out of them which is perfect for me in terms of how often i'm willing to change them.

Back