How to DIY an AC 70 fuge

My AC50 is also on its way. the AC70 would not fit the space I have on the hood. I hope the 50 is big enough to store something useful. Will post here when I get it kicking.

Ok my AC50 mod is really minimal, but I think it worked out pretty well.

I have a AGA10 aquarium that came with Aqueon10 HOB and I used the screen/holder it had for the filter there. It turned out that holder is exactly the same width as the AC50's outflow so all I had to do is cut about 1 inch of it and silicone it on the 'exit' of the water flow. The fit was so nice that I can still use the original media basket. The flow goes below the media basked and them moves through the the entire area and either rotates back down or goes in the tank. Now all I have to do is find some chaeto and the fuge will be complete.

The cover still fits nicely on top. Attached you can see how it is attached.

Thanks a lot for this thread.

Attachments

• AC50.jpg
    AC50.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 0
Just thought I would resurrect this thread to give a thanks out to Sugar Magnolia and the others on the thread. I just modified my AC70. Thanks everyone.

I just did this for my 15 long. I cheated and just just put cheato in one side cut the baffle to seperate it from the bag of carbon. I also picked up a rio mini sun blue LED. It clamps on the filter and has a bendable neck it is very small so I can hide it in canopy I was told to run the led when the tank light went out.

I'm also looking for lighting for an Aquaclear 70 I will be modding when my 20H has cycled.

Same thing that WillWorkForFish is looking for.

some people have used submersable 2 x 5w halogen bulbs to light their fuges.

I cannot remember where but you can order it shipped for around $20. Other places more including the usual suspect.

Just remember the 110 is a good pump. 500gph! Turn on your standard water-saving 2.5gpm tap. The AC110 is over 3 times the amount leaving the tap.

I also own a AC110 I've been thinking of modding into a fuge. There's plenty of flow through it and I don't know if that's what I want. My intentions of modding it was to trim a little off each impeller. I may order a double and try cutting every other impeller off and see which one works the best. Still thinking for now.

Why not grind the length of the blade so there is less rotational foce to pull the water, take it slow and in small steps to gauge velocity. Good luck.

Those of you that are running chaeto in this, how do you keep it from clogging the grate for the flow back into the tank? I've only had mine running for a couple of weeks and had to unclog it twice because I've almost had an overflow from the blockage. It's all the stuff that breaks free from the main ball of chaeto that sticks in the grates.

Chopper-I use an AC50 modified fuge on my 3g and I have the same issue with the chaeto. I would imagine its unavoidable, I just clear mine out once a week when I do water changes.

Has anyone modded the size of the housing on these? Made it deeper or wider? Would a mod like this be beneficial? I have a 30gal acrylic im wanting to add 1 to.

Old thread, but I am curious about lighting an ac 50. I would like to find a light that doesent spill out around the filter terribly. Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:
I had found a table lamp at Costco a long time ago that was fitted with a small rectangular shaped natural fluorescent light that worked perfectly on the middle chamber of my tank which was modded as a refugium. It DID spill light over tho'. I think I still have the type of bulb at home which I can pic for you but there are so many choices out there. you could always mod a hood/shield for the light. SH

I have an AC110 Fuge/Scrubber mod that I DIY'd with a lamp I found a long time ago attached to those cheapy home depot clamp lamps. I took off the lamp HD sells with the clamp and attached the lamp I had. It had a better reflecter and was longer so it covered the whole filter.

I have a AC70 and was wondering if a JBJ Nano Glo LED would get to hot mounted on the back. I have the old magnet style so it would be right against it.

Back