How to DIY an AC 70 fuge

does anyone have the dimensions for the AC 70 (i'm assuming this is the old 300?) like lengthx width x height.
thanks
adam

Hey, Big,

I had mine running on a lower level at one point. It sounds like you would expect, a little splashing into the surface. I enjoy the sound myself (as long as I know the source). If you are annoyed by water splashing well, it's doubtful you would be happy unless you extended the lip of the water tray. A little flap at an appropriate angle, curve the sides up so it doesn't fall off the sides, silicone and let it dry. That should make it soundless for you.

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I really want to build a fuge and this looks like it might be the way to go as I don't have any more room in my sump for a fuge. The only question I have, and sorry if it was answered in this thread I just didn't feel like reading 5 pages, is it not necessary to add LS to the fuge? All you need is LR rubble and the macro? Thanks

can someone measure the "fuge" dimensions please?
as in how much room for the fuge area not the whole filter dimensions.
thanks
adam;)

Fishrock, dimensions for all from manufacturer's site:

A-595 Aqua Clear 20 (Mini) 4 7/8" L x 4" W x 5 3/4" H
A-600 Aqua Clear 30 (150) 6" L x 4" W x 5 3/4" H
A-610 Aqua Clear 50 (200) 7" L x 4" W x 5 3/4" H
A-615 Aqua Clear 70 (300) 8 1/4" L x 6" W x 8" H
A-620 Aqua Clear 110 (500) 13 1/2" L x 6 3/4" W x 9" H

Has anyone tried this mod with the aquaclear 110? I am interested in the larger water volume of the 110. PEZBEAN
said a while back in this thread, "fishrock the AC 20, 30, 50, and 70 can all switch out impellars..
the 110, will not switch out with the others.. the pump is a little different.. You might be able to mod the impellar somehow to slow the flow down a little bit.."

Has anyone successfully tried any mods to slow the flow in the 110?

Would a less wattage pump from a 70 and an impellar from a 20 or 30 fit in a 110?

Thanks. -Trey

Last edited:
Well the AC70 worked wonders in my 10g nano - nitrates from 20 to 5 in under two weeks.
The bad news is that I picked up another one to go HOB on my AGA 65, and it does not fit over the tank rim. What a drag. I have no room in my sump so am pretty stuck now unless I dremmel some of the plastic.

jp

AFAIK the impellar on the 110 isn't interchangeable with the other models, but you might be able to finagle the smaller pump in there.

ok, have made my AC300 fuge.
i am using an impellor from an AC200 and also a surface skimmer.
i cant seem to keep the intake tube full of water even without the surface skimmer skimming, which is resulting in micro bubbles, which i'm not fond of. is this the norm?
also, what other macro would be suitable other than cheato?
i just have some floss in mine ATM to polish the water.
tank is still cycling.
thanks
adam:)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9792733#post9792733 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dynaschm0e
Fishrock, dimensions for all from manufacturer's site:

A-595 Aqua Clear 20 (Mini) 4 7/8" L x 4" W x 5 3/4" H
A-600 Aqua Clear 30 (150) 6" L x 4" W x 5 3/4" H
A-610 Aqua Clear 50 (200) 7" L x 4" W x 5 3/4" H
A-615 Aqua Clear 70 (300) 8 1/4" L x 6" W x 8" H
A-620 Aqua Clear 110 (500) 13 1/2" L x 6 3/4" W x 9" H

Has anyone tried this mod with the aquaclear 110? I am interested in the larger water volume of the 110. PEZBEAN
said a while back in this thread, "fishrock the AC 20, 30, 50, and 70 can all switch out impellars..
the 110, will not switch out with the others.. the pump is a little different.. You might be able to mod the impellar somehow to slow the flow down a little bit.."

Has anyone successfully tried any mods to slow the flow in the 110?

Would a less wattage pump from a 70 and an impellar from a 20 or 30 fit in a 110?

Thanks. -Trey

I have the AC110 and have started prepping it. I am gonna see how the flow is, then just trim the impeller as I need to. Its so big I have 2 heaters in it and was going to setup my 20 gallon long with it as a HOB refugium.

Ok, just filled up my 20L and turned on the ac110. Flow is CRAZY. Def gonna have to tone it down if I am gonna run it as a fuge. I mean this flow is crazy. The surface ripples twice after leaving the filter. I wouldn't need a power head thats for sure.

Just cut the impeller on the AC110. It has 6 blades and I chopped 3 of them in half. Still sucks alot of water. I am gonna wait till I get my 20L setup before trimming any more though. Hard to guage the flow when the filter isn't modded yet and there is only clear water in it.

Adam, even muth my impellar being cut, I had no micro bubbles. If the tube is not staying full you are not drawing up enough water. Did you completely fill the filter and make sure the tube is locked down in place? Stupid question but seems like this could be an easy problem to fix

thanks cracker,
i have made sure the tube is seated right and have also tried sucking the air out of the u tube......works for a bit but with the surface skimmer going it does get air in.
i just use the surface skimmer overnight to clear the surface the adjust it back in the morning.
thanks
adam

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9985073#post9985073 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Crackerballer
Just cut the impeller on the AC110. It has 6 blades and I chopped 3 of them in half. Still sucks alot of water. I am gonna wait till I get my 20L setup before trimming any more though. Hard to guage the flow when the filter isn't modded yet and there is only clear water in it.
Just remember the 110 is a good pump. 500gph! Turn on your standard water-saving 2.5gpm tap. The AC110 is over 3 times the amount leaving the tap.

I also own a AC110 I've been thinking of modding into a fuge. There's plenty of flow through it and I don't know if that's what I want. My intentions of modding it was to trim a little off each impeller. I may order a double and try cutting every other impeller off and see which one works the best. Still thinking for now.

Back