How to DIY an AC 70 fuge

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9191050#post9191050 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AnneRiceBowl
Is that some kind of DIY skimmer in this pic?

No, its a seaclone, might as well be DIY

Basically the powerhead has a hose that allows air into the intake to create the bubles

THe skimmer worked great for a year, now it doesnt pickup much. I added an airsotne which helped, but that soon was no use

Im going to drill it, and put a powerhead on the side like a REAL skimmer

i wanted to do this mod to a aqua clear 110 to hang on my sump of my 90gallon. would this be a waste of my time or would it successfully reduce nitrates and phosphates. i can get an impeller to reduce flow but is it gonna be too small of a refugium.

tylerandamanda: I am gonna do this with an AC110 and run it on my 40 or 75. I don't see why it wouldn't help some. If you do it, and it doesn't help, get another one and run 2.

This is what I did today. I did not want to go thru the hassle of cutting and glueing also just on the off chance I want or needed to use the AC 70 for a filter . I just got some gutter gaurd from the hardware store and used 2 zip ties and put a clamp light on it . This is hanging on my aquapod 24 I did not need the filter part because I have them in the aquapod chambers and remora skimmer
DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

disney....just wondering how far off of the back of the tank the filter takes up...i only have 4 1/8" so im hoping it can fit. if not i have to go with the AC 50. Just wondering!

Thanks

Does this have to be done on a AC70? In the case of a 10 gallon tank is bigger not better? I thought this might allow more room for refugium/heater and such. im a newb so i was just wondering.

that is awesome. im going to use this idea when i set up my new 20gal. i have a filter just like that one and should be a fun project.

great idea!!

That looks great. Awesome job! Do you know what size aquarium an AC70 would be suitable for? and, how can I "bookmark" a thread like this to come back to when I have time to modify my AC?

highflight-

underneath where you submited this reply click on subscribe to this thread then you can go to MY RC and you can see the threads that you're subscribed to.

I just happened to have an AC70 and an AC20 laying around..
I already made it and tested it, works great, just waiting until I can save some $ and go open top on my aquapod to set it up..

Hello - love the mod, bought the filter for my 10g nano and have it going with just a carbon bag for now. I have two questions for the experts, actually just one big question:

1. Can you fit a heater in with the chaeto? If so, which one would you recommend? The stealth 100w I have is too long to fit.
2. Is it a good idea to place a heater in such close proximity to the chaeto ball?

It would be cool to find a piece of thin LR shaped such that it would protect the chaeto from the heater - anybody doing this? This is like a hang-on sump for nanos.

thanks!

jp

reading this thread with alot of interest.
i plan to use an aquaclear 500 on a 24x18x18 but just wanted to know if an impellor from say an aquaclear 200 or 300 would work?
i think the flow, even turned down on the 500 will make a whirlpool.
i'd like the room of the 500 for the fuge with the flow from the 300.
is it possible.
also is the AC surface skimmer compatible with all models? and how good a job does it do?
thanks for any help:)
adam

For anybody using this mod as a fuge in a sump on a big tank - how far off the water level can you keep the AC70 before the waterfall noise becomes annoying? The return section of my sump keeps the water about six inches below the tank rim.

jp

fishrock the AC 20, 30, 50, and 70 can all switch out impellars..
the 110, will not switch out with the others.. the pump is a little different.. You might be able to mod the impellar somehow to slow the flow down a little bit..

which impeller should I use?

which impeller should I use?

I'm going to be using my AC-Fuge on my Aquapod when I go open top..
I broke my AC20 impeller before I could test it out, so with one broken impeller blade, it wasnt barely pushing any water through..
Has anyone tried using the AC-30 impeller and had success, or is it pushing the water too fast?
I need to order another, just trying to decide which one..

Back