how to feed the filter feeders?

lionbacker54

i received numerous filter feeders with "the package" which i would like to keep alive. i have sponges, ricordia, gorgonia and barnacles, not to mention a big oculina (sp?) coral.

what do you all recommend?

I feed Rod's Food daily, the original (with the red label). This feeds both my fish and filter feeders. I also add some Reef Chili, usually once or twice a week. When adding the Reef Chili I usually use a Kent Sea Squirt (looks like an overgrown turkey baster) to target feed my sponges, gorgs, and corals.

I mix all this stuff up in a cup of tank water, makes it easy to either pour in the tank or suck up with the Squirt.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15454088#post15454088 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Yogre
I feed Rod's Food daily, the original (with the red label). This feeds both my fish and filter feeders. I also add some Reef Chili, usually once or twice a week. When adding the Reef Chili I usually use a Kent Sea Squirt (looks like an overgrown turkey baster) to target feed my sponges, gorgs, and corals.

I mix all this stuff up in a cup of tank water, makes it easy to either pour in the tank or suck up with the Squirt.

Exactly the same combo I feed. Rods and RC. hmmm. TBS, Rods, Reef Chili...so tell me Yogre, do you also drive a CAR? Something fishy (ahem) here.:rollface:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great minds think alike!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. Thanks for the input on my questions! I like my candelabra where he is... was hoping not to have to move him.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15454595#post15454595 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by noahm
Exactly the same combo I feed. Rods and RC. hmmm. TBS, Rods, Reef Chili...so tell me Yogre, do you also drive a CAR? Something fishy (ahem) here.:rollface:

:D Har, har.

so i couldn't find rod's food. i asked my LFS, and they recommended kent marine micro-vert. any thoughts on this?

Micro-Vert is one of the products that Richard specifically mentions on his website. I used it for a while right after I put Part 2 in the tank. Seemed to work fine. I moved away from it for 2 reasons:

I wanted a more "all-in-one" product that would feed my fish as well as my filter feeders; simplicity is key for me as I travel a lot and my wife needs to be able to care for the tank without a lot of complexity.

I wasn't able to find out the PO4 content, and I was having a heck of a time with hair algae/red slime/bryopsis. I wanted to make sure that everything I'm feeding is not a big contributor to the problem.

thanks yogre. i'm going to look at richard's site and see what he said about the micro-vert. one thing i've already noticed is that it is turning the tankwater a little yellowish-green. and i'm only dosing a 1/3 of the max dosage.

in other news, the dry rock richard sent me is already purpling up with coralline. that was fast.

get rods at Marinedepot, premium aquatics, or foster and smith (all good online stores). The shipping is a bit because its overnight/frozen, but it lasts a long time and is well worth it. I feed about a bean sized chunk every other day on my 125 with reef chili on the other days.

Back