How to frag a Chalice?

plancton

How do you frag a chalice?, also what if you frag a piece that is not sticked to a rock and so you have to superglue it to a plug?. In my experience, gluing zoos to a rock or plug doesn´t work because they get to much slime all the time and set themselves lose.

I don´t know if chalices are also very hard to glue.

any ideas?, pics?

I've fragged several of mine. Not sure what you have available to cut it. But I use an Inland band saw with diamond dust blade. I don't cut them until they are hanging off the plug. That way I still have my healthy mother colony. After you remove an eye just superglue it to a plug or rock. Then let it heal.

I have a dremel with diamond cut. Also scalpel. Which one should I use better?.
Also for what you´re saying it seems using superglue is fine and they won´t set lose?. Because if you super glue zoos, the zoos get lose, don´t know if chalices do the same.

Super glue gel is not a problem with chalices. Zoo's, Mushrooms, and softies don't attatch when using super glue due to the slime they produce.

I've never used the diamond cut on a dremel, so I can't answer that. The scalpel will probably not cut thru the stoney skeleton.

The main reason I use the Inland saw is that it has a water resevoir for coolant to keep the blade from getting hot and to also keep it clean while cutting (you just use saltwater as the coolant). The inland saw is also fast at cutting so it's a minimal time out of the water and reduces the stress to the animal.

I'm not saying you have to go this direction. I'm just not familiar with many other methods. I never fragged an LPS coral without my Inland. You may be able to just use a set of bone cutters that come in a frag kit. But I would worry about spliting the entire coral.

Ok, then I´m gonna use the dremel with water. I didn´t know they have a stoney skeleton, how´s that?, is that the part that you´re gluing?, or you can also cut a fleshy part and glue it with super glue and still not worry about slime being a problem for attachment?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15475788#post15475788 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chi3f
yeah i second that!!! wouldn't intense heat almost soder the cut closed?

Not sure on that, but they do heal quickly under the right conditions.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15478801#post15478801 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thuynhcl
if it has a thin skeleton then cut it with a razor

The part that you want to cut around for a frag is the eye/mouth. From the chalices I've cut, that is usually where the skeleton is the thickest.

If it's a thin chalice (not sure what the specific name is) like the Tyree blue chalice, you can just break it off.

best method is bandsaw, it won't burn the skin too much, i don't like using a dremel...if I have to use it I would dremel the bottom of it till where it almost close to the skin then use a razor blade.

but with using a razor blade,i would place it where i lke to cut it and get a hammer and tap it until it get down low engough to where you can use a dremel to cut the back with, that doesn't hurt the skin and the healing time for that is very quick..

Back