How to get a molly to eat problem algae?

CTaylor

Hi
I read posts of black mollies eating nuisance algae like bryposis. I even seen the molly (once mollies) that I have now eat nuisance algae off rocks, glass, etc in the LFS. So I got those exact ones. None of them (now just one) ever touched the rocks except the first 2 mins they were in my tank. I even resorted to taking out the molly and putting in a bucket for a full 5 days to get it hungry. After I put in tank I didnt feed for a day. It didnt matter, it never even tasted a rock of side of the tank.
Is there anything I can do? I'm trying to not resort to chemicals to keep the bryopsis under consistent control.

TY!

I have a molly converted to saltwater and I am thinking that bryopsis is too fibrous for it. I think mine prefers more filamentous algae.

I rememver reading posts that they do/can eat it. I even scubbed clean the rocks of visible bry (I read some place a a LOOONNNGGGG time ago wen it grows to any length it's totally unpalatable and possibly toxic when cut/eaten). Still it doesnt do anything. But the mollly doesnt even 'taste' any rocks or the acrylic of the tank. Not even a try lol. In the LFS it's all it was doing. Maybe it was because there was non bry everywhere. But I'm sure I have some other algaes that I dont see. Just no intereest. I'll go back to LFS and see if there's bry in their tanks, probably not. TY everyone!

That won't happen, as a solution. A fish eating it (if they do) and pooing the phosphate back into the tank isn't going to solve it. .Get your phosphate (algae fuel) under control via an anti phosphate reactor to have an impact on regular algae; and Reefflux if you have bryopsis.

Last edited:
Sk8r, thanks, but I know why it grows. I have imbalance of nutrients, not too much PO4. Lowering it will worsen my situation. Pooing it will also give nutrients to feed my chaeto. This is off subject. Just looking to see if someone (and apparently I must have misread that others were successful) have molies eating it.

Back