How To Set Up Apex Lite Controller

NChockey35

I just bought an Apex Lite Controller and I have no idea how to set it up. I recently bought a used 150 gal tank with a 60 gal sump from a guy who recommended that I get an Apex Lite Controller. I purchesed one today and have been trying to set it up but I'm sure I am doing it all wrong. Searched youtube for a video on how to set it up and didn't find much. If anyone has a video tutorial or knows where I can find one it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have an Apex lite and had no problems setting it up. So if you can give me a little more ifo I can try. More important!!!!! Go to the Neptune Systems sponsor forum area. There is a ton of information there that will help. The Neptune guys check the forum often and will adress your issues. Finally, go to this website http://reeftech.webs.com/, this is the unoffical guy to all things Apex, and it is great.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Honestly I do not know much about how a controller works. I was just told that I should have one. Im assuming that it allows you to change things like water temp and checks PH and salinity amongst other things but i have no idea how. Im awful with written instructions. I blame it on the fact that i grew up with legos. :) Thats why I am looking for a video tutorial.

I plugged in 2 return pumps a protein skimmer and a heater. I will eventually plug in lights.

The return pumps seem to work but the protein skimmer started up then shut down. i plugged it into the wall and it started working again.

I will give the link a look when I get home. Late day at work. THANKS again for your help!

Honestly I do not know much about how a controller works. I was just told that I should have one. Im assuming that it allows you to change things like water temp and checks PH and salinity amongst other things but i have no idea how. Im awful with written instructions. ...

Well... you're either going to soon get good with written instructions, or you're going to be :headwally:

While the Apex is a great controller, it is not what I'd consider plug-and-play. It only does what you tell it to do, and the programming language is not necessarily intuitive. Don't get me wrong... it *does* make sense, but only if you take the time to understand it.

Download that "unofficial user's guide" and start there. It will walk you through everything you need to know. I haven't seen any videos out there... but then again, I haven't looked. Even if there are, I'm guessing since everyone's systems are a little different it may only be of limited help - or could totally steer you in the wrong direction if you didn't understand the limitations or reasoning to start with.

I plugged in 2 return pumps a protein skimmer and a heater. I will eventually plug in lights.

The return pumps seem to work but the protein skimmer started up then shut down. i plugged it into the wall and it started working again....

If I remember correctly, the Apex comes with the outlets preprogrammed with some default code. If you just plugged things in without getting into the Apex and seeing what the programming is for those outlets, you could be in for some other surprises... especially with the heaters if they're not on the default heater outlets.

I'd really suggest getting to know the unit before hooking stuff up to it. Controllers are great, but they can make things go really bad really quick if you get things wrong.

Yes, the Apex comes with a series of "premade" programs that you can use effectively. It really customize you need to program yourself. The unnoficial guide walks you through several of these common more advanced programs (like ATO programming). The other figity thing is that low wattage items need to be placed on outlets 4 and 8 which are controlled differently than the other 6. If things like auqulifters or small powerheads are placed on the other outlets they sometimes fail to turn on.

Back