How to sump/fuge

bgwil99

Well I broke down and bought a stand/canopy for Brooke's nemo tank. I was going to build it, but it just wasn't happening. I had to replace the 20g sump for a 15g tall to accommodate the stand. I want to install baffles to minimize bubbles in the display tank. I also want to use it as a fuge with chaeto. So I want to know the best way to proceed ie what material to use for baffles and configuration ect. Anyone have suggestions?

as for the baffles I just used the clear plexi glass from homedepot, and some aquarium safe silicon. I spaced them out about 1 inch. hoped that helped

What type of lighting do I need for the fuge? Is a standard fluorescent enough, or do I need a pc?

Last edited:
Brian, I have teh exact set up you're talking about

I use a spiral 65KK bulb from home depot and just have a clamp light under my stand

pics are in my build thread

Thanks for the lighting info. I will use the clamp on light with the spiral 65k bulb from HD.

Now for the question of flow. My wish is to use my fuge for growing chaeto as well as pods on LR rubble. I have read it is best to use low flow rate through a fuge when you are trying to establish a sanctuary for pods and such. Is this so? If I use a low flow rate will that not be optimal for the chaeto? Because of the small size of the fuge(15g) I must use one chamber for both functions. Is this feasible? If so what should be the flow rate?

Look to make the fuge flow close to about 20X turnover. That is for the size of the fuge. So if you have 5 gallons devoted to fuge, that's only 100 gph. That may be hard to do on a small sump due to space/size constraints. That's why sometimes people find it easier to do a seperate pod fuge using a hob type filter or an above the display fuge.

What skimmer are you using and what is the feed gph to it?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9267110#post9267110 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spooda420
as for the baffles I just used the clear plexi glass from homedepot, and some aquarium safe silicon. I spaced them out about 1 inch. hoped that helped
Also all you have to get on the silicon is the Windows and Doors silicone at Homedepot/Lowes while you are there.

Make sure it says 100% silicone. and it does NOT say mold resistance.
059028006006.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9271185#post9271185 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DrBDC
What skimmer are you using and what is the feed gph to it?
I am using a bak pak skimmer with maxi jet 1200.

Back