How "unaware" are fish while sleeping?

C0rp

I need to pull a midas blenny out of the dt..too smart for trap and impossible to catch without breaking down tank. The fish sleeps in a football sized, shaped rock near the top of the tank and can easily be removed from tank without rearranging anything. My thought was to try and pull the rock after lights out, but I wasnt sure how aware the fish would be at this time. I dont want the fish to suddenly freak out and leap from its hole (falling onto ground or something) the second the rock leaves the water without giving me time to get it in a Brute can or something. Anyone have any experience with doing something like this?

Turn all of the lights on and be quick about it. You should be ok.

I snagged a clown goby out of my tank in the middle of the night like this.

Some fish like my Clowns fumble around and don't realize I am inches from them. On the other hand, the Midas Blenny will know. Best bet is to pull the rock out if the fish has established that rock as its main home. He will go back into that hole so you can pull the rock out. Hover the main hole over a bowl of water and in about a minute the Blenny will drop out.

I had to move a starry blenny several times by moving him in the rock... Just put the whole thing in a bucket and moved him, so I'd say you'll have no problems being able to separate into another container... As for holding the rock so the fish dropped out, I never had luck with that. Get the rock in another tank, wait for the fish to leave it, then nab the rock.

Thank you all for your advice, and making a stressful situation for me very easy. I turned on the light, grabbed the rock quickly and the midas remained in the hole. I held the rock just over the water lvl of the QT and he dropped right out after about 1 minute. Thanks!

Back