Human beings are reckless and stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its all of our faults. We demand products which can be thrown away after one use. Garbage dumps cant handle it all. Sad really.

That is horrible. :(
Few years back I switched from drinking pepsi all day (sipping it) to water. My teeth thanked me, but I imagine all the plastic bottles I would have contributed to that 'island' in that time. My RO/DI unit is my hero.

Even one peice of trash in the ocean is too much, exaggerated or not.... disgusting, and yes, all of our's fault...

IMO bottled water should be outlawed. That has got to be one of the dumbest of man's ideas. I have a two stage filter under my kichen sink and get the same quality drinking water without the cost and all of that wasted plastic.

^ agree.
My gf won't use the water I give her and her kids to drink. They use bottled water because it is there, cheap, and easier. Only way to stop this is to outlaw it and definitely plastic bags from the grocery stores.

If people would just recycle it would put an end to this. Plastic is wonerful material, it is easily recycled and you don't have to kill trees to make it.
IMO homes should be built with recycled plastic in place of wood. It might cost a little more, but you wouldn't have to worry about termites and it will never rot.

Right off, let me say ,I'm not looking for a fight and I applaud everyones green efforts. However; has anyone seen a satilite photo of this " island " ? A few more rounds on the internet and it will be the size of the pacific itself! Did this guy take that canoe all the way to this " island " ? More likely some backwater area. (discusting enough ) . Some people belive what they want to belive. As far as reckless and stupid, I find rash generalities evidence of such.

However; has anyone seen a satilite photo of this " island " ? A few more rounds on the internet and it will be the size of the pacific itself!

The Pacific garbage patch - primarily caught up in the Pacific Gyre - has been well documented for the past decade or more. I don't recall the exact statistics, but the plastic-to-plankton ratio was estimated to be 10 (or more) to 1, and I think that is low-balling it.

Happily, I don't think it is yet visible from space. But, much of the plastic is thumbnail size or smaller.

What's more is that while plastics photodegrade, they don't biodegrade. So, they might break down to smaller bits - just small enough for a turtle, bird or other ocean-going animal to ingest.

Fix the problems, not the symptoms.

Cheers
Mike

Uncle salty 05
I am just of the opinion if we continue to missrepresent very real problems, We turn more people away from our cause than we recruit. The trash now floating in the ocean doesn't resemble the photo used to promote this problem. I'm not questioning the problem, just the presentation. On the other hand- I can always use a good a** whoopin'.
I see you take your Jackson Browne quote to heart!

Uncle salty 05
I am just of the opinion if we continue to missrepresent very real problems, We turn more people away from our cause than we recruit. The trash now floating in the ocean doesn't resemble the photo used to promote this problem. I'm not questioning the problem, just the presentation. On the other hand- I can always use a good a** whoopin'.
I see you take your Jackson Browne quote to heart!

That I do.

I do not think the problem is misrepresented. On another website the photo of the guy in the canoe was captioned with "This is NOT the island or what it looks like", I chose to use the one I did for dramatic effect because I know how hard it is to get people's attention, and there are those that would shrug off the problem as not serious (as you chose to do) because there are no jaw dropping pictures that show the seriousness of the island because the particles and such are suspended in the current just below the surface and go down to great depths.
The problem is that very real problems like this one are not represented at all.
If I had not been listening to the radio show this morning I would know nothing about this problem at all, and in my opinion everybody should be aware of what we are doing to our oceans by being reckless and stupid.

No hard feelings wetshirt. Hell we could all use a good *** whoopin' once in a while.:wavehand:

I do not think the problem is misrepresented...there are no jaw dropping pictures that show the seriousness of the island because the particles and such are suspended in the current just below the surface and go down to great depths.
The problem is that very real problems like this one are not represented at all...and in my opinion everybody should be aware of what we are doing to our oceans by being reckless and stupid...

The "problem" isn't plastic in the ocean, it's the complete disregard for real science when the real science refutes presuppositions.

Seadiscovery.com said:
There is a lot of plastic trash floating in the Pacific Ocean, but claims that the "œGreat Garbage Patch" between California and Japan is twice the size of Texas are grossly exaggerated, according to an analysis by an Oregon State University scientist.
Further claims that the oceans are filled with more plastic than plankton, and that the patch has been growing tenfold each decade since the 1950s are equally misleading, pointed out Angelicque "œAngel" White, an assistant professor of oceanography at Oregon State.
"œWe have data that allow us to make reasonable estimates; we don't need the hyperbole. Given the observed concentration of plastic in the North Pacific, it is simply inaccurate to state that plastic outweighs plankton, or that we have observed an exponential increase in plastic."

"œThe amount of plastic out there isn't trivial," White said. "œBut using the highest concentrations ever reported by scientists produces a patch that is a small fraction of the state of Texas, not twice the size."
Another way to look at it, White said, is to compare the amount of plastic found to the amount of water in which it was found. "œIf we were to filter the surface area of the ocean equivalent to a football field in waters having the highest concentration (of plastic) ever recorded," she said, "œthe amount of plastic recovered would not even extend to the 1-inch line."

One recent claim that the garbage patch is as deep as the Golden Gate Bridge is tall is completely unfounded, she said.
"œMost plastics either sink or float," White pointed out. "œPlastic isn't likely to be evenly distributed through the top 100 feet of the water column."

So answer this: What beside it is there is the problem? If it is a "very real problem" surely it must be responsible for global warming or an ozone hole or two, something. Mount Rushmore is a problem in as much as it is.

Before this goes too far, I do admire your zeal. You find interesting stories. I just don't agree with your conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back