Hurricane preparedness Q&A for reefkeepers

Specfishin

I'm not one to get worried about getting caught with my pants down. But 2 weeks after hurricane hermine came through, it happened to me. My power was out. Now, small interruptions are expected. They can and will happen. Trust me I know. But, this was a Sunday game time outage, dead heat of the day . I bought a couple of things in preparation for Hermine and future storms. But, I was still not prepared in the slightest. It was a small, 45 minute or hour outage. Not long IMO. I'm biased and work on these lines day in day out, so I expect it to happen and know it'll be fixed as fast as possible but according to all procedures and safety protocols. I was inconvienenced by something out of the blue. Just a failure. Maybe it was going to happen tomorrow or yesterday. Never know. But it happened and I found myself lacking preparedness for my own situation. I knew I could get by with what I did have for several hours if need be. But "what if" I had to be out for a day, several days, week or weeks? OMG the humanity! The amount of destruction caused by a "real" storm can be lifechanging. Hermine was a simple Cat1,TS that could've been way worse. Now, as I ponder what "could" happen in this coming weekend, I think, am I really prepared? That is my question to you. Are you prepared for the worst or even a bad case scenario where things just went bad for your situation? I would just like a gathering of ideas whether they be cheap, hold me overs or expensive backups or DIY reef survival tips.
I personally have a couple of marine batteries in my boat and would use them for aerators. But those only last so long. I cannot afford a home generac at the moment. So, besides an inverter runnimg a couple of wavemakers one in each tank and a aerator. I have 32 gal and 20 gal brutes for emergency water. What would you do and how/ why? I think this could be useful information from newbie to exp reefkeeper. I unfortunately would not be able to attend to these problems personally. So if my ho.e was indeed not evacuated, I would have to worry about my family and train someone to upkeep the system for ??? Hours/days. Automation would be best but, no power comes with new ideas and innovation. Either way I'd love to get some fresh ideas and experiences going from one Tampa Bay native to another about the wellbeing of our glass cage inhabitants whom reside where hurricanes are a possibility. And remember safety first don't chance your lives, leave ahead of time, evacuate when needed. Thanks

I had the same concerns and did nothing and hoped for the best. This summer my AC stopped working and of course it happened on Sunday. Luckily Home Depot was still open and I bought a couple of window units. They keep the house cool until the AC was fixed. I also have a generator if the power goes out. Keep it cool and moving at all costs!

Generator definitely is in my real near future here and I feel if anyone wants to give general advice for hurricane preparedness from experience it'd be valuable. Especially for our out of state transplants that recently moved here.
As many may know, NEVER RUN A GENERATOR INDOORS! Just can't say it enough. Someone dies from carbon monoxide poisoning often enough as it is.

Picking up a whole house generator next Wed! Tired of worrying about the power. Of course, this does nothing for AC unit failing.

Whole house gen is the way to go. Maybe spring I can pop for one. I'll pm ya Roger. I'm going to look for one tomorrow after work.

Mike if your ac fails I will fix it quick.

I would suggest everyone get spare capacitors for your ac to keep on hand just in case. Also demand that they are made in the USA. You are talking an extra $10 for the difference between junk and a good product.

I would suggest everyone get spare capacitors for your ac to keep on hand just in case. Also demand that they are made in the USA. You are talking an extra $10 for the difference between junk and a good product.

I'll take u up on that! I'll get with you so I can figure out what cap to get to have on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Battery operated bubblers can be found at walmart in the fishing sections. They are a cheap quick bandaid solution for short term power outages and mines has kept my tank going through quite a few incidents. It wont keep your tank cool but the immediate issue in most outages is deoxygenation in the tank which this covers perfectly. Also I own the same generator that roger has for sale and it is an excellent low cost backup plan for your tank that I have had to use twice with great results.

They usually stock both next to each other..I have 2 of each for every cap, not everyone wants to pay and extra $10 for some reason lol.

Trading capacitors for frags!

Yeah Tony I hear you on the $10 but it is at least 50% of the time approximately that when I can't get an American cap I am back in less than 2 years replacimg it again. US caps seem to go longer.

Battery operated bubblers can be found at walmart in the fishing sections. They are a cheap quick bandaid solution for short term power outages and mines has kept my tank going through quite a few incidents. It wont keep your tank cool but the immediate issue in most outages is deoxygenation in the tank which this covers perfectly. Also I own the same generator that roger has for sale and it is an excellent low cost backup plan for your tank that I have had to use twice with great results.

I have bubblers for short term situations. But what generator is recommended for running skimmer for oxygen and 2 leds and wavemakers? 1000 w or less? I need one for just tank coverage. Lol that and a sturdy chain to lock it up.

I have bubblers for short term situations. But what generator is recommended for running skimmer for oxygen and 2 leds and wavemakers? 1000 w or less? I need one for just tank coverage. Lol that and a sturdy chain to lock it up.
I have a very small generator but the consensus seems to be to run only what is essential. When i had to use mine it was only for the return pump but my system is set up so that is half the water movement in the tank normally. Your corals are fine without light for several days so you don't need to worry about your LEDs.

I have a very small generator but the consensus seems to be to run only what is essential. When i had to use mine it was only for the return pump but my system is set up so that is half the water movement in the tank normally. Your corals are fine without light for several days so you don't need to worry about your LEDs.
Thanks for the tid bit info on the ligbting. Good to know. I'm more concerned for the 1 week+ out of power situations. I've seen it happen in other places around the country and hope we never have to go through it. Just. Bejng cautiously prepared.

Picking up a whole house generator next Wed! Tired of worrying about the power. Of course, this does nothing for AC unit failing.

I have one does most of the house. Tanks and fridge microwave and office has Internet and TV

Whole house gen is the way to go. Maybe spring I can pop for one. I'll pm ya Roger. I'm going to look for one tomorrow after work.

Sorry sold it

Roger. I may be interested. I'll text you today.

Sorry it's gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run a setup that fails in stages during a power outage. When the power goes out I have a decent sized battery backup(pure sine wave a must). This runs a propeller pump in each tank. There are the battery powered bubblers plugged into the backup unit, once it is drained, these kick on. I have a good sized inverter that I can hook up to the car to run as a poor-mans generator. This can run the pumps and recharge the battery backup. I also have a window unit, but it is a little too much for the inverter.

A few jugs of frozen water in the freezer are good for power outages and keeping the tank cool during outages.

5500 watt generator to run the essentials in the tank and home as well keep the portable AC running to keep the tank cool. Also, if we were to really be in the track of a major storm a good size water change a day before and have a full brute with more saltwater on hand. If something happens to the generator my truck has an outlet built in so I can use that in a worse case scenario.

Back