Hydroids or feather dusters????? Pics inside

Octoberfest

Well on a couple pieces of my live rock I have something that I don't really care for that I would like to get rid of unless they prove to be reef safe.

I have seen Aiptasia in other tanks before and had one in mine and these by no means look ANYTHING like it. They look like tight groups of feather dusters but at the same time they are a bit different. The color is just as it is in the pictures, a redish brown. These are the best pictures I can get for now so hopefully someone can give me a positive I.D. on them now.

In this picture they are pretty much centered in the picture, one of the groups I have on that rock.
Picture045.jpg

cropped close up same group same picture
hydroids.jpg

Second picture there is a tight group in the upper right and a couple scattered groups throughout.

Picture041.jpg

The third groups is next to a group of my Zoas so you can get an idea of the size. My Zoa heads are smaller than a dime. There are several groups in the picture but they will only look like small brown fuzz.
Picture033-1.jpg

They are very tiny, which is the reason the pictures aren't the greatest.

Seconds part of the question is if they are harmful, short of pulling the rock what are the methods of removing them? The two pices of rock they are on happen to be the nicest ones in the tank.

Hydroids I believe.

I got rid of mine with good 'ol kalk paste. Then I removed the tubes with tweezers.

I had something that looked just like it that I never could get an ID for.

My yellow tang ate whatever it was.

They are athecate hydroids and can take over. I'd kalk them.

DSC02565Hydroids-vi.jpg

you heard the woman. give 'em the kalk!
omg i cant believe im posting that:lol:
please dont kick me off RC!

And a turkey injector has a larger needle so you make it thicker.

now this doesn't get into the tank water and hurt any of the other live stock? what about the hydroids that I don't see?

Back