Hyposalinity: how-to; when-to; how-long-to

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
Copper, while a good ich cure, has some problems: angels, puffers, and lions I have seen reported as having difficulty. Plus it depresses appetite.

Hyposalinity is the alternative, and it has one drawback: difficulty in application. This is how you do it: and two things would really make it much easier: an ATO for your hospital tank and a refractometer.
-----------
First, this is a treatment for parasites---including ich---NOT for a bacterial infection.

Second, you should NOT combine this treatment with copper.

Third, do this in a completely bare tank, no substrate, no rock, and with filter material changed daily, and a POTENT little pump: an airstone or powerhead is advised. Do NOT rely on the weak little trickle pumps that are supposed to let water linger over biomedia. Get something that produces a lot of bubbles and that moves water strongly. Why? This is a little tank. It gets tricky because your fish can be in hypo and be fine---but the minute you bring the water back to standard salinity, they'll go oxygen-short, because a rise in salinity diminishes available oxygen. If you have a strong pump, they'll be fine.

Why a bare tank? Because when under assault, the ich will encyst and drop off the fish to attach to sand, rock, or filter media. Get rid of media daily. Because the visible ich has left your fish is no guarantee it's gone. [hint: I go to the hobby store and get a big bag of polyester pillow stuffing; wrap a tuft of that cheap stuff around a teaspoon of carbon---yes! you can use carbon while using hypo, another virtue---and use that for your filter. You can rig a very potent little filter with an old CD holder: put the pump in the bottom, put pillowstuffing atop, and let 'er rip. It's a pot filter, which I use in my koi pond, and it is pretty efficient. Couple that with an air filter with a bubble wand, and you've got plenty of filtration and plenty of oxygen.

LET ME ADD, however, that IF you are dealing with angels, and some other very sand- or rock-dependent fishes, you may find it adviseable to use the OTHER attribute of hypo, which is that it will not totally kill a sandbed or live rock, nor depress a fish's appetite. If you have a cycled qt, with all of the above, despite the propensity of ich to dive for a sandbed, you may find it easier on the fish to use hypo, expect some sandbed and rock dieoff [so be very careful about feeding], and expect to lose all your little inverts, relying on the hypo procedure to kill off the ich and render the cycled qt safe for use for other fishes. Having a hob skimmer as well as a topoff on this system would be adviseable. I would advise waiting 8-12 weeks at regular salinity with the qt tank fishless, but recovering its microlife [a little wad of fresh cheato is good for this] and letting ich absolutely, definitively die out, before another quarantine. You can survive 8 weeks without buying another fish, eh?

----------
Now---the procedure.
Catch your fish, put him [them] in the hospital tank at regular salinity, and, over 48 hours, slowly lower the salinity in the hospital tank to 1.009. Draw a 'fill line' on your glass, and keep it exactly that. No rise and fall---that favors the parasite surviving. Keep the pressure unremittingly on the parasite, no letup. You should see happier fish soon, return of appetite, etc.

Observe your fish daily, and when you have seen the last ich gone from the fish [remember to change that filter medium daily!] and it's breathing well [no ich in the gills] then you start a 4-week countdown. That's one full month of continued hypo counting FROM THE LAST OBSERVED CYST.

Keep changing that filter medium daily.

At the end of the 4 weeks, over 48 hours, or by topoff with salt water, bring the salinity up to standard-normal. AND WATCH THE OXYGENATION. The fish may have depleted the oxygen during the hypo period, when the water holds more oxygen. As you add salt, the ability of the water to carry oxygen drops proportionately, so energetic oxygenation of the water is very, very important now. Watch the fish for another 7 days to be sure you got it all---and if he remains ich-free, he can go back in.

Most reports of failure of hypo I suspect result in less than exacting application of this treatment. It is precise, it requires a lot of filter changing, and it requires you to keep that water exactly at that fill line: you're on a knife's edge between what the fish can tolerate nicely, and what will kill inverts like ich. You need to stay right on that line.

But because it lets you use carbon, and doesn't depress appetite it may be the best and gentlest course for a fish that is already weak or not eating well, and it may be best for some species.

Hope this helps.

----------

Last edited:
Great thread. I am trying to visualize this cd holder filter. How do you get a pump in the bottom of it...isn't the spindle in the way...and what size holder did you use, 50 cd's? How does the water flow through it? I am very interested in trying this as one new carbon filter a day is costly. We have plenty of cd holders lying around though.;)

What about the length of time to leave the DT fishless. A lot of sources vary from 4-8 weeks. What is your opinion here?

Great sticky for hypo. The only thing that I may question is the daily filter media changing. I have done the same without the media change, as I have felt that I wanted to keep a bacteria cycle going to reduce ammonia without having to use chemicals to reduce ammonia. I also understand that there may be a difference in the bacteria type at that salinity and that it may take some time to form, but I felt that the bacteria was still doing its job of ammonia reduction in the hypo period. I have successfully done hypo this way many times with excellent results. The most important thing to remember about this process is having a refractometer, getting to that magic 1.009 and keeping it there.
I understand the thought process of the ich attaching itself to the filter media and you want to get rid of them that way, but it is much like the process of using UV, it doesnt kill all the ich as there is always ich left in the tank that doesnt go through it. The ich killer here is the lower salinity. I would like people to know that even if you don't go through a more time consuming process of daily filter media changes, hyposalinity will still work.

If I leave my sand bed in my display while in hypo for 6 weeks will the parasite die off in the sand bed.I want to go alittle longer to make sure.

I would consider 8 weeks more like a minimum..I have read that in some case when you raise the temp the parasites can go into a mode and last for a possible 90 days, which shocked the heck out of me..So DON'T raise the temp. Just the other day I finished a QT hypo cycle of 8 weeks with my new fish and after slowly raising salinity waited one more week to see if anything else developed on them before introducing them into main tank..

Almost forgot another HYPO tip. When you have reached 1.009 in your QT tank draw a line at the water line with a perm magic marker on the side of the tank or use tape. Now you have a reference point for 1.009 without an automatic drip into tank.You also wont have to recheck the salinity everyday, I would still do it once a week just in case you feel the need. Just make sure you keep tank filled above the water line when the water evaporates. I would just refill the tank every 3 or 4 days by keeping the salinity above the line.

Thanks cougaran,I am doing the hypo in my main tank,a 240.I removed all corals and inverts.I have a ato on my sump.My skimmer isn skimming because of the salinity has dropped.

I have a mixed reef/fish tank. I currently have ich in my tank and would like to cure it. Can I remove all the coral in a seprate tank and leave the live rock and sand bed with fish for the hypo salinity tank? THe main tank is 175 gallons.

I just wanted to add that while dropping the salinity from 1.025 to 1.009, you MUST watch the PH. This wasn't specifically mentioned in all the postings I read and the drop in PH killed all the fish in my hospital tank within the first 16 hrs! I was only down to 1.015 when I noticed the PH dropped from 8.2 to around 7.5-7.8

quick question, do you have to change the filter pad on a daily basis or can you run the same filter pad for the whole treatment?

quick question, do you have to change the filter pad on a daily basis or can you run the same filter pad for the whole treatment?

Every couple of days rinse the pad with the hypo tank water this way the pad will stay clean and you get to do a small WC. If you're running a skimmer like I do I would also check the sg every couple of days because it still skims small amount nonetheless.

Edit: I normally go 10 weeks.

Last edited:
I have 2 B&W Clowns in QT right now, at about 16 days I noticed white spots on them and they were both flashing but not very often.

I started HYPO last night and should be down to 1.008-1.009 by tomorrow morning. My question is should I mess with the QT temp which is 77-78 now or should I raise or lower it?

Leave the temp as is. You want to keep an eye on pH, it can do funny things in hypo. I used "baked" baked soda, worked like a charm.

Leave the temp as is. You want to keep an eye on pH, it can do funny things in hypo. I used "baked" baked soda, worked like a charm.

Thank you for your response...

I am currently testing PH 2 times daily and so far so good 8.0 to 8.2 so far.

I also use baking soda trick to keep it at a rock solid 8.2. I dont ever recall having any PH issues, Amonnia though can be a big killer, get one of those seachem ammonia badges that go into the tank. Also DO NOT mess with temp it can cause the parasites to go into a special cyst cycle and possibly be able to last up to 3 months.

How soon after hitting HYPO salinity do the pods start to fall off the fish, I have been about 14hrs into 1.009-1.008 salinity and I see barley any of the spots I saw last night. I'm guessing it depends on the cycle of the parasite?

I'd have to say depends on the Ich. How hardy they are, how much fish mucus is still covering them, what stage in their life cycle. You still have a long way to go, so be patient. The good news is when you arent losing any fish. The lower salinity allows more oxygen in the water and thus fish that have loaded gills with parasites can "breath" easier. It also takes less energy and allows them to cope better. I like to leave my tank at least 8 weeks minimu with hypo, just to make sure I dont have to do it again. It only takes one of those things to survive for a reinfestation.

So I need some advice here, I have been treating two clowns in HYPO for 21 days now and all was good until today. One clown has 3 or 4 spots and the other has one, does this mean it has not all died off yet?

Or is HYPO not working?

I can assure you I have not been over 1.009 salinity I check it two times a day and change water 50% every 3 days, along with cleaning one filter sponge everyday.

I just need to know if I am simply being impatient.

Thanks!

Back