I have seen the light!

I know someone who works for Graybar.It's my husband!!!! He said he would get ballasts for everyone but his handling fee would be as much as your entire lighting system would cost.:) Graybar Electrics are pretty much all over the U.S.
Keep us posted on the MV ballasts. I need to get a lighting system put together for my new 120. Everytime I think I have it figured out what I want to use I read something in a post that makes me reconsider what I had decided on.
TnReefer

AWW!!! talk about being excited one second and then slamming face first into the ground the next. why you gotta tease us like that? The only thing about ordering from graybar is that you have to be a business. :( Therefore i am outta luck. :(

OK where do I find these Advance MV ballast from Graybar model number 71A3802 locally?

Thanks!

Rico.

Rico,

Graybar is a store that may or may not be in your home town. If you don't have a Graybay, any electrical supply place that sells Advanced Ballasts will do. I think Andvanced has store locator on their web site http://www.advancedtransformer.com you can find a retailer near you there.

Good luck

FWIW, last year I went through the Iwasaki ballast research process, including asking the manufacturer for a recommendation. They suggested either a Magnetek (1030-92) or an Advance (71A3572). Both have capacitors. I went with the Magnetek which has worked well.Yesterday I sent the following e-mail to the manufacturer and will post any reply I receive:
"A few questions about which of these Advance ballasts would be most appropriate for use with the MT250DL lamp: 71A3572 or 71A3802. If both will work, would you expect any operating characteristics to be different between the two ballasts? Will either affect the life of the lamp?"

David

David,

I don't know why they would have told you to use a 71A3572. That has a CWA type circuit. EYE specifically states NOT to use a CWA type circuit (even though that's what everyone who uses a MH ballast for the Iwasakis is using). It will be interesting to see what they say in response to your letter.

Brian

Far and away the best DIY lighting thread I have ever seen.:D This one should definately be archived.

BJ, Hats off to you!

Brian,

You the man! You couldn't have gotten any better pictures. Thanks again, when the time is right I will let you know how it went.

Brian, I asked about the CWA circuit and was told it would be fine. So far they were right.

I hope I get a response to the e-mail

David

Well it looks like a lot less people are going to spend $$$$ on MH ballast like PFO if this little DIY project works well. $23 for a 250W ballast?!?! WOW! There is a Graybar about 5 miles a way from me. Too bad they only sell to businesses. bjmummy how did you get them to sell it to you as an individual? I am going to call Advance to see who else sells their ballast in my area.

RicoJa,

When they asked for the company name, I just gave them the name of the company I work for. They just need a company name to put on the paperwork since they only sell to individuals. They won't ask you to prove that the ballasts are for the company you work for. Just don't tell them that the sale is to an individual and don't ask if they sell to individuals when you call and you should be fine.

Brian

Wow! Awesome info Brian with great pics to boot. I know which route I'm going to go when it's time to setup a bigger tank...

Paul.

I told Graybar, when I got my ballasts that I ran my own business and gave them my name. The point is you will be able to get the ballast, they are not going to miss a sale for something that trivial. I think why they say they sell only to businesses is that they don't want to deal with DIY'ers like us. So act like you know exactly what you want and don't bother them with how to questions and you will be able to get almost anything you want.

I called a bunch of placed in AZ including Graybar in Mesa, AZ and nobody had the bloody ballast. Are these that rare? Can they be ordered online? I am afraid of shipping cost though, ballasts are usually pretty heavy.

Rico.

Rico,

Graybar can order them from Advance for you. When I asked them if they had them in stock, they said no so I asked if they could order some from Advance. They did and it only took about a week for the ballasts to come in.

Brian

bjmummy,

I'll try it again with them. The guy was not super friendly. I asked him if he had it.. he put me on hold, when he came back he said "don't have it".. no I am sorry I am out of stock or let me call another store or anything.

Rico.

bjmumy, where did you get the box for the ballast? Also, are there any holes in the box for ventalation? I don't need the halides but I may just make two for the heck of it. eric

Eric,

I got the boxes from Home Depot. Lowe's had them too, but they were on clearance at HD:D. They don't have any ventilation holes. There is a gap at one end of the cover though that will probably allow some heat to escape. I've yet to run one for more than 2 hours, but in that amount of time, they didn't get very warm anyway.

Rico,

Hopefully the next time you call Graybar, you'll get a helpful employee! The person I spoke to was pretty helpful and friendly.

Brian

Well according to Advance Transformers they do not sell to the public and ballast 71A3802 is not regularly stocked by most of their distributors. I found a distributor in my area that will special order it for me for $26.55. Not a bad deal at all considering that the PFO sells for much more than this and it is HUGE! This sounds like my next DIY plan! :)

Rico.

I spoke w/ Greybar today over the telephone and got a price quote for the ballasts. Its going to cost me 25 bucks each not including tax. This is also a special order because they don't stock this item here either. They don't take credit card orders over the phone, so they either recommended i send them a check or come by their office. I told them that i will send a check thru the mail and they will process my order and get them shipped UPS ground for 15 bucks and it should get to me within 5-7 days. I cant wait to SEE THE LIGHT!!!! Now i just gotta get myself the lamps and other accessories. Im sure i will be referring back to this post many times more so please dont remove the pics :)

Back