I just scored two S. Gigantea's this morning.

It is very pretty and not bleached and very sticky, mouth not gaping....it is in a good condition. Too bad that I am not ready yet for such difficult carpet.

When you start with a healthy one like what you're havin, a gig isn't so hard to sustain. Keep it dude ;-)

I agree, I don't think they're hard when their local.

It's when they have been shipped 20x to get to the US and get treated with different antibiotics by various vendors. Go through the hands of multiple people. They build up tolerance to antibiotic therapy, are severely stressed, and then become extremely difficult to keep or get acclimated.

They are sensitive anyway though, but you can understand why some will never survive.

When you start with a healthy one like what you're havin, a gig isn't so hard to sustain. Keep it dude ;-)

I was too scared to keep it. Heard to many bad stories about gigs here on RC. I am not in a hurry, when the gigs just arrived the lfs they are all healthy, just don't let it sit too long in their tank. They get every Sunday new arrival .

It's when they have been shipped 20x to get to the US and get treated with different antibiotics by various vendors. Go through the hands of multiple people. They build up tolerance to antibiotic therapy, are severely stressed, and then become extremely difficult to keep or get acclimated.

????
How many shipments do you think they have to go thru to get to the US?
What multiple people/vendors are treating them?
How quickly can "they build up a tolerance to antibiotic therapy"?

????
How many shipments do you think they have to go thru to get to the US?
What multiple people/vendors are treating them?
How quickly can "they build up a tolerance to antibiotic therapy"?

Some may come straight here, but I'm assuming others exchange hands quite a few times. I would think some go through at least 3-4 shipments before we get them at our dinky little LFS. Example, divers get the Gig. Gig takes boat ride back to port. Gig put on truck. Truck travels to local destination and gig placed in holding tank with multiple others who could already have or may be getting an infection. Another truck arrives later to pick up and ship out. Gig back on truck heading to airport. Then it's taken off truck and transported into airplane. Airplane flys across seas and lands in US. Another truck arrives and picks up Gig for next destination. Do you get what I'm saying? It can go on and on. By the time we get them, it can be real bad.

Anytime you are dealing with MONEY and PROFIT, people will do whatever it takes to keep that animal alive to receive their payoff. Of course we aren't the only people treating them. This is 2014, and everybody has Google and the internet.

They can build tolerance the same way we can. There is a reason why your doctor will tell you to take ALL your antibiotics even if or when you start to feel better.

How are they today. Best of luck with them. I do think that we are getting anemones that are infected with bacterial that are resistant to Cipro. Maybe we should start with Septra (Trim-sulfa first. It is much harder to become resistant to Trim-Sulfa than it is for Cipro)

I think the smaller one have the potential to be very nice. Like this one:

attachment.php

Attachments

• PetcoGigantea2014052601.jpg
    PetcoGigantea2014052601.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 0
How are they today. Best of luck with them. I do think that we are getting anemones that are infected with bacterial that are resistant to Cipro. Maybe we should start with Septra (Trim-sulfa first. It is much harder to become resistant to Trim-Sulfa than it is for Cipro)

Indeed.

I think that's a great idea. I'm gonna use Septra 1st on these next mags. Shipment didn't make it again. I don't know what's been going on. Both my LFS are slacking!

Does anyone know if there is any correlation between the color of the column and color of the tentacles?

I was too scared to keep it. Heard to many bad stories about gigs here on RC. I am not in a hurry, when the gigs just arrived the lfs they are all healthy, just don't let it sit too long in their tank. They get every Sunday new arrival .

It's quite interestin it then was very hard to find a blue/green haddoni and so it still is now ;-)

You can try

Mentersii--well Hong Kong is as crowded as New York so I understand property size might be a problem

It's quite interestin it then was very hard to find a blue/green haddoni and so it still is now ;-)

You can try

Mentersii--well Hong Kong is as crowded as New York so I understand property size might be a problem

Yeah it's very hard to get haddonis here and if they have a haddoni it will be sold very fast. I was even looking in china and there is no haddoni too.

Hong Kong is a small place with too many peoples. Property is very small here compare with my home country Netherlands .

Yeah it's very hard to get haddonis here and if they have a haddoni it will be sold very fast. I was even looking in china and there is no haddoni too.

Hong Kong is a small place with too many peoples. Property is very small here compare with my home country Netherlands .

Well, everything about saltwater in China comes from Hong Kong so if you fail to find what you want in Hong Kong, so will you in China ;-)

You can try Singapore though but I don't guess it's easy to bring it back to Hong Kong

And you can sure try gig because most of what you read from here about
it is based on american experiences. What I had in Beijing were both very hardy. To pass the Customs, I drove over the border and to skip security check at the airport, I took train from Shenzhen to Beijing. But they were fine. I ended up with a tiny tan one though. a local reefer in Beijing once got a cardinal mag. it looked SICK. Had it been listed on dd, it wouldve gone viral

still missin those mini sps colonies :bounce1:

Well, everything about saltwater in China comes from Hong Kong so if you fail to find what you want in Hong Kong, so will you in China ;-)

You can try Singapore though but I don't guess it's easy to bring it back to Hong Kong

And you can sure try gig because most of what you read from here about
it is based on american experiences. What I had in Beijing were both very hardy. To pass the Customs, I drove over the border and to skip security check at the airport, I took train from Shenzhen to Beijing. But they were fine. I ended up with a tiny tan one though. a local reefer in Beijing once got a cardinal mag. it looked SICK. Had it been listed on dd, it wouldve gone viral

still missin those mini sps colonies :bounce1:

Maybe your right. Peoples here on RC failed to keep gigs , because they are in bad health. They are in very good condition here. Maybe I should give a try, but will do it after the tank upgrade. Will be moving home soon and will do an upgrade the same time.

Back