I Need All You Coral Farmers Help On A Project!

kozmo02

Premium Member
Hi

I am doing a 10 page paper for my college english class. The paper is a research paper on any technological advancement. Since I am involved with the hobby, I chose to write about captive bred marine fish as well as tank raised and captive raised frags. I was wondering if you wouldnt mind helping me out, and giving me some of your opinions regarding any technological advancements that have improved the captive raising of both corals and fish in the hobby. I am primarily focusing on captive raised coral fragments to try to avoid wild imported colonies as much as possible. Any and all help is appreciated!

Thank you

Kozmo

Well, I dontknow if this is what you want, but I think the most important advancement was when sw tank keepers started to focus less on technology, and more on the fundamentals that keep the animals alive (trying to replicate their catural habitat as much as possible.)

Thus, I think the decline of technology was more important then the technology itself. As John Tullock said, "More biology, less technology"

and you can [/] quote me. ;)
HTH

I agree with ReefEze. Among the biggest advancements have been the popularity of more natural methods as compared to out of day mechanical methods. The actual propagation of most corals is very basic (through my limited experience anyway). Without natural methods of filteration (deep sand beds, plenum use, advancements in skimmer design) we would be nowhere near where we are today with propagating corals in captivity.

Rich Valentine

Back