I need some help, free fish here

hexedagain

I was at my lfs, and the wife spotted the cutest little Angelfish.
Well the person there tells me, it's a pygmy, and won't get more than 3 maybe 4 inches tops. And yes it is reef safe.
Now understand, I do know I should have researched this fish first, but I was overruled. If you know what I mean.
I get home type in a google search on this "Black Angelfish".
WOW. Not a pygmy, and way not reef safe. Also said this fish could get over a foot in size. WOW, not in my tank.
I will give someone this fish if they want it. It is the size of a quarter, very small.
I do ask, can I let this guy swim in my zoa dominated tank? Only for overnight, maybe a day tops.
Or would I be asking for it?
I have it still floating, and do not want to kill it.
If someone live close enough, I am in Winter Haven, you can get him tonight. I might even drive a short distance to meet you.
Someone please help me and this poor mis labled fish. I do not want to see it die for my mistake, and a bad, unknowing sales clerck.
I will try and get a pic of it. The fish is around quarter size, and very bright with color.

hi, he has yellow stripes? I just googled him, hes beautiful! If you are able to keep him til morning I can pick him up. Maybe trade a real pygmy rusty angel for him? I have one of those in the smaller tank.

oh, I just read he needs about a 250 gal as an adult, and reef safe as an adolescent, cant fit it in the 90. Hope you find him a place, cant you exchange him at the store?

no pygmy family angelfish or "dwarf angelfish" is completely reefsafe, now some may be less likely to pick at corals, but as a whole, i tell people that if they care more about their corals then the fish, to not get one. They normally will pick at clam mantels and other types of mollusks. I've heard of people claiming that dwarf angels will also pick at sponges, SPS, and xenias. Larger angels are definetly NOT reefsafe except the angels belonging to the genicanthus genus, such as lemarks angels which are pretty common.

Not the friendliest store, and a no return policy. Not on saltwater fish.
I normally only buy dry goods there, but the wife had to have this cute "little" guy.
Here's a couple of bad pics. Sorry, there through the bag also.

101_0333.jpg

101_0335.jpg

He is beautiful ,(agree with Gimplar) even pygmys are hit or miss, they will sell it if they can in my opinion. Are you keeping him in a bag all night?

I don't want to . I am afraid that might kill him. Although they stay in these bags sometimes for 48-72 hours during shipping. I just don't want to kill him, or for him to have a buffet on my zoas.
Someone please take him. I have another LFS that is a much better place, and he would take him, but not until 10:00 or 11:00 tomorrow morning.

Just take him back - your giving him away anyway right? That way you're not the one that killed him. Then you can educate your LFS and at least try to get your $ back because of bad info - JMO. I would stand up for myself at the store, but in the end just give him back!

Good point, they probably get away with this all the time. All we/you can do is not return buisness I guess?

That's why I would rather give it to my other LFS to sell. He will at least inform people with the correct information.
I also will not go back to this store.

PM'd you so you can tell me which store it was. I got mislead too about a week ago. If it's the same place.. oh it's on. :D

Well if you look at the time - I don't think you will be giving it away tonight and now it's AM. Just make plans to swallow your pride and take him back and blast them - that's what I'd do or take him to another LFS. Just letting him die in a bag is not a solution. This is what give our hobby a very bad name and why people feel we should NOT keep fish in aquariums. If he starts looking stressed you need to get some air in the water and change the water.

It is a juv. French Angelfish. I used to see them in the Keys all of the time. They are one of the larger Angels and not only get 1' long but they also get to be about 1' tall and can easily outgrow a 240g tank. They are also one of the more destructive Angels when it comes to corals. They will eat Gorgonians (natural food), Zoas, fleshy LPS, Clams and may pick on the slime coat of SPS once he starts reaching subadult size. He probably will not touch much of anything right now and I have had sucess with raising juvenile Angels and weening them onto prepared foods so they do not pick on corals when they get older but this has not always worked on every angel. Juveniles of this size are also somewhat difficult to keep as they will not always eat prepared foods or will not eat enough and slowly waste away.
All in all I would try and return him because I don't think there is anyone with a tank big enough to keep him long term.

what ended up with the lil fish ? did someone get him from ya ?
too bad i am so far away i would have ginin him a good home. hope he made it through the night.

i think its the gray angel. the french is a little different as far as thier tale is concerned. but other than that thier identical

Thanks to everyone that either offered to help, or to take this little guy.
I ended up taking it to my other LFS this morning, were it will never be sold as a reef safe pygmy. I can at least rest knowing it is in good hands, and not in the hands of someone who thinks they know everything.
I did talk yo the manager, and he did offer to take it back, and give a store credit. I didn't want to chance this little guy going through this all over again, or someone flushing it because it ate there corals. Due to an employee not knowing what they are talking about.
I know everyone gets frustrated when this stuff happens, and some of that should be directed at me. Because I know better than to not research something before I buy. This engraves it in stone for me. I also know better than to shop this store.
Thanks again to everyone for there help.

Back