I suspect Lymphocystis, can you help me confirm or deny

1stanker

Hi this is a photo of my new chalk basset, I think he has Lymphocystis on his anal fin

Some background, I got him 3 weeks ago, I did TTM with an extra 6th transfer and treated provalactaly with Prazi pro on the 4th and 6th transfer.

All was good, yesterday afternoon I saw a scrape on the base of his tail on the right side, it was not there in the morning, visible in the photo. Today I saw his anal fin looks inflamed of swollen. Not like this this morning.

The tank finished cycling 2 months ago, It's a 25 gal aio tank with 25 lbs of live rock and 20 lbs carrot sea live sand cad lights skimmer, Cato fudge with innovative marine light, 100 wt heater/digital aquatics controller, Kessler 160(not running) tank mates are 2 skunk cleaner shrimp,2 dwarf fan worms and 2 nerite snails.

I'm feeding a mix of Hikari freeze dried spirulina brine shrimp, Hikari marine s pellets, with Hikari seaweed extreme pellets(for the shrimp) and Selcon every 2nd or 3rd day

Water parameters are 78deg and stable, sg- 1.024 and stable nitrate hovers between 5-10 ppm

From the photos on google images I think it looks closest to Lymphocystis, do you guys think I'm right? yes or no?

For the record this is my first sw tank and first sw fish.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0
That picture isn't helpful. You need to get a clear close-up shot of the fish, ideally in front of a dark background.

New photo

New photo

Here is a clearer photo against the black background

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 0
Still not really good enough to be sure, but Lymphocystis is definitely a possibility.
If it is easy for you to catch the fish, you could just try to remove it.

Update: the original node(whatever it was) detached overnight, the fin still looks slightly irritated but this is consistent with all the litrature on lymphocystis that I've read.

Here is an informative link on lymphocystis if others want to read up on it. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/lymphocystis-info-and-cure.69537/

I guess it's not super uncommon in marine fish and in most cases not fatal, a healthy immune system can fight it off in time according to the sources I've read.

I feel we're lucky if this is all it is, my plan moving forward is to provide a vitamin enriched and diverse diet and provide a minimal stress environment and hope his immune system can fight it off.

Fingers crossed....

Back