I want YOUR feedback

Reggae Fish

Premium Member
OK.
Every single person I have talked to has had a different answer to this questions so I would like to hear everyones input to make sure I am taking the appropriate measures to maintaining a stable tank. I have stuff that I have researched and made decisions on however that doesn't mean that it's the best so I want to be prepared if something isn't working to switch to something that others have had success with.

What do you use??? EVERYTHING!!!

I WANT A LIST OF EVERYTHING YOU PUT IN YOUR TANK!
Food, calcium stuff, ammonia stuff, any additives?

I will have about 5 fish, inverts, polyps, corals, and live rock. I appreciate your help!

Remember, EVERYTHING YOU PUT IN YOUR TANK

Food-
Frozen formula 1
Frozen formula 2
Frozen brine shrimp
Frozen krill (sometimes, not all the time)
Frozen carnivore mixture (some brand of mixed SW meats)
Formula 1 Pellets
Formula 2 Pellets
Selcon (vitamins and fats for fish)
Garlic

Buffers:
DIY 2 part additive (CaCl, NaHCO2, and MgSO4)

Saltwater is mixed with RO/DI water and Instant Ocean salt. Water changes done weekly about 10%.

Media:
Phosban being run in a Phosban Reactor
Granular Actived Carbon (Marineland brand) being run in a Phosban Reactor

IMO, once you start adding more chemicals and more things, you add more potential to overdose and break something. Keep it simple and only add what you can test for (as far as buffers go).

your crazy!

i use b-ionic ca\alk every night.
all other products i use are made by kent marine.
iodine once every few weeks,
strontium & molybdenum as much as the iodine,
coralvite even less,
2 cubes of brine shrimp every few days or so,
about 1\2 gallon of ro\di top off water every day,
a 1\2 to 3\4 gallon siphon of my new bare bottom every few days, water replenished with instant ocean ro\di water.
AND 100% LOVE AND TENDERNESS ALL DAY EVERY DAY!

I'm just curious what you have in your tank. That way I can compare apples to apples. You just seem to have a lot of stuff and just curious if it's similar to my future setup.

Thanks!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6939150#post6939150 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx
Food-
Frozen formula 1
Frozen formula 2
Frozen brine shrimp
Frozen krill (sometimes, not all the time)
Frozen carnivore mixture (some brand of mixed SW meats)
Formula 1 Pellets
Formula 2 Pellets
Selcon (vitamins and fats for fish)
Garlic

Buffers:
DIY 2 part additive (CaCl, NaHCO2, and MgSO4)

Saltwater is mixed with RO/DI water and Instant Ocean salt. Water changes done weekly about 10%.

Media:
Phosban being run in a Phosban Reactor
Granular Actived Carbon (Marineland brand) being run in a Phosban Reactor

IMO, once you start adding more chemicals and more things, you add more potential to overdose and break something. Keep it simple and only add what you can test for (as far as buffers go).

I keep mostly SPS... this means I need to have my calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium in line (thus the reason for the 2 part additive). The Phosban also helps keep the phosphates down for the SPS to grow. The carbon keeps the water clear for better light penetration and removes toxins from the water.

As far as all the foods. I mix it all up in tiny tupperware containers and keep it in the fridge. My fish pick out what they like, but mostly its to give them a very wide diet. The fish are healthier from having a wide diet.

Kalkwasser. It takes care of my Cal / Alk.
The more you add the more you have to test for. Regular water changes replace trace elemnts in the water column.

Food:cyclop-eeze and formula 2 Flake

DTS Pyto 2x a week

2 part B-ionic
Phosban (reactor)
Activated carbon (occasionally)
Iodine (occasionaly)
Cheato
Home made food mixture

.......soon to be dosing kalkwasser once the B-ionic supplements run out.

In a 30 gallon reef tank with a 20 gallon sump, running half full.
Air, Water & Ice Typhoon III making the 0 TDS water for:
-top off water
-Instant Ocean mixed to 1.024 sg and agitated with a powerhead in a US Plastics drum at 80 F. (you did say everything...)
-10% water change twice a week
Cycle as per the directions with new water
Kent Tech-M Magnesium 5 mL with each water change until its 1300 ppm
Kent Strontium / Molybdenum 2 mL per week
Kent Tech-CB Calcium Part A / B 5mL each with each water change until its 400 ppm.
Kent Iodine 1 drop per 10 gallons (dosed once) a day or two before one of the shrimp looks like it's ready to molt. I leave the molts in the tank for other critters to eat.
Diamond Activated Carbon in the Fluval if I detect any ammonia or nitrite or if nitrates get > 20 ppm.
Kalkwasser if my alkalinity needs a boost, dripped into the tank with the Kent Aquadoser.
Live refugium with in sump skimmer wity a layer of coralline sand over Miracle Mud(tm) growing Caulerpa prolifera, Ulva sp. (sea lettuce) Gelidium or Pterocladia? (two of three species commonly referred to as "wire algae") and a rubble pile of broken coral and snails shells to encourage copepods.
Sump is fed 5 mL of DT's 2-3 times a week.
Main tank is fed sparingly 3 times a day:
morning - 2 paper thin slices of Formula Two
noon - 2 paper thin slices of Formula One
- 2 Hikari Crab Cuisine pellets
evening - 2 paper thin slices of Formula One or
~ 20 mysis thawed and thoroughly washed in RO water.

the anemone gets a small slice of Formula Two or half a dozen washed mysis or a pea-sized piece of thawed krill twice a week.

the snowflake moray gets a pea-sized piece of thawed krill once a week.

Started culturing Artemia, Nanochloris and rotifers this weekend and will add those to the feeding regimen.

If a fish gets sick (lethargic, lack of apetite, throwing up, etc) or starts rubbing itself on the rocks, Kent Garlic Extreme and Kent Coral Vite 2 times a day for a week.

If a fish is visibly injured, has visible sores and seems distressed, he goes in the QT with an extra long acclimation period, dripping the QT water into a bag with the fish with a Kent Aquadoser for an hour or so, same treatment with Garlic Extreme and Coral Vite until the fish gets better or expires.

Back