i went and bought that mrc mr2 skimmer. anybody have oe of these?

You'll Love it!! Just got mine about a week ago, and it is skimming like crazy! I have mine in sump.

That's the skimmer I'm running. I'm very pleased with it, it ought to be awesome on your 75.

I don't think you can run your skimmer in a closed loop. Closed loop is basically flowing out of tank from below the waterline through the pump and back into tank below the water line. I have my skimmer on a dedicated pump flowing from sump to skimmer and back to sump.:) :bum:

You may have a hard time doing this but, sump-pipe-pump-tube to skimmer-skimmer-skimmer gatevalve-pipe back into the sump. Problems come from trying to align it and when you want to take it out to the back yard for a good scrubbing. By alignment I mean the top of the black box should sit even with the water in your sump and when you are plumbing the return, the water/pipe shouldnt go higher than the black box or it may put backpressure on the skimmer's water level. And by cleaning I guess it could be done if you used the disconnects with gate or T valve somewhere before and after the skimmer. You will probably have to plumb it 2-3 times before you figure out the best way to get the skimmer's water height to be right for your set up.

They are making recirculating MR2's now, but I was told that the older design's black box isn't big enough to recirc.?.

I've got one too that hasn't been set up yet (been waiting on the pump for a while). I wasn't aware that the top of the box has to be level with sump water level. If you're pumping up to the pump, why would the hydraulics of the sump be a concern? I could see if it were in the sump, as changing water levels will effect the way it skims. I'm in trouble if I have to match the top of the box with the water level. I've got it about 4" or so above water level to the bottom of the box...

I think the problem is the back pressure you get from the return. If the water is higher you get more pressure or the other way around. Make sense?

Gary, that's the level at which "mine" had to be in order to get the skimmate to climb the riser without a 98% shut gate valve. Now it's probably shut 85% or so... Obviously it will vary depending on the pump you are using.

It's also the height Joe told me to put it at when I bought it from him. ;)

i want to see pics of how you connect the return to a pipe. mine is not threaded, slotted or anything, and the output pipe is angled straight down.... anybody have pics?

I'm using (well, will be using) a PCX-55, so hopefully I won't have any problems. Shouldn't have to worry about back pressure from return being higher than water level. I can't wait to get this thing running...

skwirl,

Mine was 90'd straight down, too. I cut it off so I could 90 to the right of the pump location and have a gradual slope to the sump. Yours must have been mounted external initially. There is a lot of info on them on the boards (I think most people mount them externally). Below is one link. There are so many responses, they split the threads numerous times.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...threadid=691132

Well, that thread went directly to the MRC thread a few weeks ago... Now it looks like it has been archived? There is a string of threads out there specifically on the MRC skimmers.

yea mine 90s down. after talking to art and seeing his i thought the pipe would come out of the outlet. we thought maybe the previous owner had maybe installed it, but after close inspection, and numerous attempts to remove this pipe i gave up, and just assumed it must have been made this way.

Back