IceCap Digital Pocket Tester Review

IceCap Digital Pocket Tester Review

Do you have any 35 PPT calibration solution to test it with ?
Does reading in SG make it any closer?

Calibration solution is a tricky animal because you need solution designed for the instrument you are calibrating. Solution that reads 35ppt on a refractometer may not read 35ppt on a conductivity probe like the icecap. A calibration solution for a refractometer may use something other than sea salt that has a refractive index of 35ppt, but doesn't have the same conductivity as seawater. Likewise, a solution designed for a conductivity probe may not have a refractive index of 35ppt. So when you are looking at calibration solutions you need to make sure the solution is designed for the instrument you are testing.

Now, that said, I do have an old bottle of pinpoint 53ms calibration solution, which is designed for the pinpoint conductivity probe. Pinpoint has stated that this solution is very close to seawater and it should read 35ppt on a standard refractometer as well.

Unfortunately, like I said, the solution is very old, so I'm not sure it can be trusted. When I tested with that solution I got a reading of 34.5ppt on the icecap probe and 40ppt on my Milwaukee refractometer. Again, I'm inclined to trust the Milwaukee refractometer here as the solution is several years old and may have evaporated, which would cause high readings. The reading on the Milwaukee refractometer also is much closer to my standard refractometer and my apex conductivity probe. I have a hard time believing that the three devices which produce very similar measurements are all off.

Reading in SG doesn't make a difference. Like all conductivity probes, the icecap probe actually reads in ms (millisiemens) and just uses a mathematical calculation to convert to SG and PPT. If one is low they are both low.

Interesting that yours is showing so much more deviation than mine. How's the temp reading?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got mine the other day. It seems accurate but I’m just checking against a cheaper handheld refractometer that maybbe off. Hard to tell. One thing I did notice and is why I asked. The SG and PPT are off but it does say sg is +-1 and PPT +-2
My temperature is 10° off lower.
My replacement should be here Saturday.

Temp seems pretty good on mine. My apex is reading 79.3 and the icecap said 79.7

That's weird. My salinity measures pretty well spot on but temp is off. Maybe some quality control issues with these.

I ordered one of these too and am excited to see how it works. FWIW I had a Milwaukee Digital and just hated it. That 0.002 accuracy was just too far off and repeat readings for me varied and while it was in spec for the machine variations of true 1.026 between 1.024 and 1.028 were too much. (yes was using their solutions and following instructions). I am excited and hopeful for this as it's getting harder for me to see refactometer .

At this point I'm pretty well convinced that my unit is reading way low. This morning I remembered that I had some Neptune 53 ms solution that was not old and was still sealed in a single use foil pouch. I tested the icecap probe with that and got a reading of 31.9 ppt. 53ms should be 35 ppt.

I'm going to return the icecap probe and stick with the Milwaukee digital refractometer.

Well now I want to see more people's experiences. I'm curious if I got lucky with mine.

Because my temp is 10° lower they sent me a new replacement and will be here tomorrow.
I’ll have the 2 to compare till I mail the other back on Monday.
On the one I have now, I believe it is reading the correct salinity in SG and I agree the PPT is further off but it does say the PPT is +-2
It’s funny that I was getting a constant 1 degree higher SG when I didn’t use the attached cup. All three had different salinities.
I was dipping down into a bucket and milk jug with no electronics near them.
When I used the cup and just shook the water off between the 3, it was consistent back to 1 degree lower. Maybe it’s the volume of water.
Too bad IceCap couldn’t join this thread.

Ok, new one came and looks like this one's temperature is good. It reads VERY close to my apex temperature.
Everything else is close when comparing the 2
Sg 1.025-1.025
PPT 36.6-36.2
PSU 41.9-41.4
Temp 76.6- 68.7 <"”- reason for replacement.

got mine in the other day, not happy at all at the moment, maybe I got ne of the duds,,

every tank I try says 1.021 when I have triple verified that the tanks are 1.023 , 1.025 and 1.026 all 3 different systems but my unit reads 1.021 on all f them,

I am actually getting more and more aggravated at the minute as instead of them just sending a replacement they keep trying to have me trouble shoot, and mentioning how it could be electrical interference,, well my issue comes from different locations and buildings so it cant be "the room" im in,

I wish they would just send me a good unit before I decide to give up on this all together and just request a refund,

I had high hopes for this unit so as of now im very disappointed

That is a bummer.
I would ask for a replacement or you will return it. If you still wanted a try at a new one and they won’t replace it, return it and buy again somewhere else.
My replacement has been great to use. Making new water to 1.026 is much easier. I will soon bring it to some stores with me to try it out against their meters they use and compare results but I expect them to be close. Or hope so.

I've been using one a week or two. Compared with a couple calibrated refractometers to verify. Its been pretty spot on for salinity. The temp compared to my apex and rkl was about .5 degree off. Close enough and not really why I bought it.

Back