ICP Results, Mixed Reef Maintained withTapwater

Timfish

Timfish
Premium Member
Just wanted to show the ATI ICP test results for a mixed reef system maintained with tap water. Often what I've seen when aquarists post problems blame is quickly attributed to water quality issues that is not necessarily supported by the research I've read and experiences I've had over the last couple of decades. The microbial processes are far more important than maintaining "ideal" water parameters (See Forest ROhwer's "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas). For the record, I don't have any objections for using RO/DI as I use it also for some of my systems.

<div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo" contenteditable="false">
<div>
<iframe allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" height="270" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4t8IjelZwUk?feature=oembed" width="480"></iframe>
</div>
</div>

(Video taken with a Pixel III with White Balance set to "Auto" and a orange filter to cut some of the blue light)

Here's links to pdfs of the aquarium results:

Display Tank ICP Results

And tapwater:

Tapwater ICP Results

For those interested, for water changes saltwater is mixed up and dechlorinator is added about half an hour before a water change. Water changes are usually every two weeks but occasionally three. System does not have an ATO, new saltwater is mixed weak depending on how much evaporation has occurred.

Thank you! This system was initially set up in '94 but I'm pretty sure there's nothing left from that original setup. When the system was given away in '07 I was contacted to move it and take over maintenance there were three fish originally purchased in '94, a Yellow Tang, Purple Tang and Sailfin Tang. I've posted updates about them here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388344&highlight=Elvis We've lost the Yellow but the Purple and Sailfin are doing well in the systems they've been rehomed too.

So you put the tangs up for adoption, or do you mean that they are other systems that you have? :) Looks nice, in any case.

Back