ID Help? Skinny Vermetids?

Eug40

I have a 14 gallon that I kind of neglect in terms of asthetics. Haven't been scraping the glass, no mechanical filtration, just one big rock and sand. FInally got around to maintaining it because I was noticing cyano builind up on the algae covered glass and frothing in mats around the intake.
Then I noticed that these twig like structures were covering the rock and the chambers in the back including the heater. I don't think they are vermetids, way too skinny. I have vermetids in my main tank, much thicker. These are like skinny twigs resembling a burnt out forest. Any help identifying?

Attachments

• Vermetid.JPG
    Vermetid.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
Those are vermetids. Those ones are extra annoying because you can cut yourself on them.

Yep, and they hurt like crazy when you do.
jeez, so they just lay dormant and populated like crazy? Nothing has been added in that tank for over a year. what are they eating? Throw a few pellets a day in the tank for the one firefish and coral banded in there.. Now the rock looks like one big spike ball. Manual removal seems herculean.. Any tips on how to rid/proceed? Thanks again

I've heard Bumble Bee snails will eat them. But, I've also heard those will go after other snails as well.

You could also cover them with reef safe epoxy putty or use super glue to glue the ends shut.

Note: I've never tried any of those methods so I cannot confirm if they do or do not work.

Back