ID Hitchhiking Anemone? Coral?

SillyDox

Hello all!

I just noticed this little guy pop up in this crevice of this rock. The rock came with a Duncan coral mounted on it and it was from my LFS.

This is small, about the size of my pinky nail and in person it has kind of a pinkish hue. My boyfriend thinks it's a little baby Duncan but I'm not so sure.... Anyone know what it could be?

PS. Mainly trying to make sure it's not a pest like aiptasia or majano!

Thanks all [emoji13]
f17c185d6e00c04a05e86015576e8520.jpg
35de119702edf9cdbe60c48bd0b16b2d.jpg
bdcdb46e086e6346e70400888e45543e.jpg
48e643dc02d9e9572468db97740a700e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

my guess was aptasia

either way, make a nice nugget of water weld epoxy (or your favorite stick-shaped two-part epoxy) and fill that gap with it. Super glue gel may leave room for error. I'd make a good wad of epoxy putty and fill that gap in solid. You'll probably be okay after that.

Its kind of funny, some folks love a majano especially large ones as they spread much slower then Aiptasias do. I know a LFS that sells large ones all the time!
They make for a cheap anemone is the thinking i guess........... LOL.

It looks more like an aiptasia to me as well, but either way it's a invasive pest that will spread if left to it's own devices. For small ones I normally use boiling water in a syringe, but that one looks big enough that the epoxy route is probably your best bet.

I had one that was in a place that repeated attempts with boiling water wouldn't get it due to where it's foot was and I couldn't use epoxy either, so I removed the zoanthid encrusted rock from the tank and carefully dripped some muriatic acid on the little bugger. I lost a few zoas in the process, but the aiptasia is GONE!!!

Back