ID Please...

Jamie2337

I have 2 frags that I cannot figgure out what they are! Any help would be great!

105936mini-Tank_Feb_06_116.jpg

105936mini-Tank_Feb_06_087.jpg

Thanks!

I'll guess,

First one - some type of mushroom

Second one - candy cane

Third one -- pearl coral

Carrie

I agree with CRP tho I'm not sure on number 1. It would be easier to identify number 1 if we could see it head on / get some sense of scale. It could be another candy / trumpet or a brain.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6842387#post6842387 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gary Majchrzak
#2 is definitely Caulastrea
#3 might be Plerogyra or Physogyra

#1 gonna need a picture from another angle to ID it

English Gary! Am I right? :D

I've seen Caulastrea called candy cane, trumpet, etc.
Pearl bubble has similar different common names.
Common names are confusing.
I don't like using common names. :)

Thanks Gary. I'll try to work on the scientific names but I doubt I'll get far! :rolleyes:

What I do is take the scientific name and google it and find the common name. I remember the common name...but have the scientific one for reference! So both help. I will get a better pic of #1 tomorrow!

Carrie,

I have it all written in a notebook...I will get it typed up for you. It is sooo not complete. A work in progress. We should make flashcards!

Jamie, its fine, don't bother typing it just for me. I thought maybe you had a list on the computer somewhere. I should start one too.

Carrie

Here's a start:

Scientific name: Sarcophyton sp.
Common name(s): Leather Corals, Umbrella Corals
Tips on care: Give moderate to strong light and good current. May not extend polyps after the following: handling, water
changes, moving coral to a different location, or shipping. Leather Corals slough off an outer layer of tissue at regular
intervals as an anti-fouling aid, and this is normal.

Scientific name: Lobophyton sp.
Common name(s): Scalloped Leather Coral, Finger Leather Coral
Tips on care: Give moderate to strong light and good current. Sheds mucus just like Sarcophyton sp.

Scientific name: Sinularia sp.
Common name(s): Finger Coral, Soft Flower Coral
Tips on care: Same as Lobophyton sp. This species is badly affected by high phosphate levels.

Scientific name: Clavularia sp.
Common name(s): Star Polyps
Tips on care: Give moderate to strong light, and moderate tohigh current. Green species do best under strong light. In low
light conditions they can lose their green color. Under good conditions Star Polyps will spread to adjacent rocks. Use of an
Iodine supplement helps these corals do well.

Scientific name: Cornularia sp.
Common name(s): Clove Polyps
Tips on care: Same as Clavularia sp.

Scientific name: Xenia sp.
Common name(s): Pulse Coral
Tips on care: Give strong light and good current. Under goodconditions Xenia can spread rapidly, and seems to do best when ithas "room" to grow. This species is sometimes known to "crash", and Iodine supplements are essential to the overall health of
Xenia. Problems have also been reported with shipping, so it might be better if you can obtain a specimen locally.

Scientific name: Gorgonia sp. ( General )
Common name(s): Gorgonians, Sea Fans, Sea Whips
Tips on care: Photosynthetic Gorgonians can be recommended to the beginner. They require strong light and strong current. The polyps can be fed occasionally with small food pieces like finely chopped shrimp, fish, etc. Photosynthetic Gorgonians usually have polyps colored green, tan, or brown. Polyps colored red, orange, yellow, or white are non-photosynthetic Gorgonians. Non -photosynthetic Gorgonians should be avoided by the beginner because of their heavy feeding requirements.

HARD CORALS

Scientific name: Lobophyllia sp.
Common name(s): Tooth Coral, Meat Coral
Tips on care: Give moderate light and moderate current. Can befed small pieces of fish or shrimp occasionally. Sensitive to
stings from other corals.

Scientific name: Trachyphyllia geoffroyi
Common name(s): Open Brain Coral
Tips on care: Give moderate light and low current.Occasionally can be fed with small pieces of fish or shrimp whententacles are expanded. Iodine supplements are essential to the overall health of this species.

Scientific name: Symphyllia sp.
Common name(s): Flat Brain, Tooth Coral, Lobed Brain Coral
Tips on care: Give moderate light and low current. Can be fedsmall pieces of fish or shrimp occasionally.

Scientific name: Turbinaria peltata
Common name(s): Cup Coral, Saucer Coral, Vase Coral
Tips on care: Give moderate light and moderate to high current.Can be fed with small pieces of food.

Scientific name: Cynarina lacrymalis
Common name(s): Tooth Coral, Doughnut Coral, Meat Polyp
Tips on care: Give low to moderate light and low current. Can be fed occasionally. Is sensitive to other corals, so keep it
away from other species.

Scientific name: Polyphyllia sp.
Common name(s): Slipper coral
Tips on care: Place on the bottom of the tank in moderate to low light and low current. Can be fed brine shrimp or other small
foods occasionally.

Scientific name: Herpolitha limax
Common name(s): Tongue Coral
Tips on care: Place coral on the bottom of the tank in moderate to low light and low current. Coral can move around by inflating its tissue.

Scientific name: Favites sp.
Common name(s): Pineapple Coral, Moon Coral
Tips on care: Give moderate to strong light and moderate current. Can be fed small pieces of fish or shrimp occasionally.

Scientific name: Oulophyllia sp.
Common name(s): Brain Coral
Tips on care: Same as Favites sp.

Scientific name: Favia sp.
Common name(s): Closed Brain Coral, Pineapple Coral
Tips on care: Same as Favites sp.

Scientific name: Caulastrea sp.
Common name(s): Trumpet Coral, Candycane Coral
Tips on care: Give strong light and low current. Can be fed occasionally with small pieces of fish or shrimp.

Scientific name: Euphyllia divisa
Common name(s): Frogspawn Coral
Tips on care: Give moderate to strong light and low current.This coral needs room to expand. Should be kept in aquariums 50gallons or larger because they can grow quickly.

Scientific name: Catalaphyllia jardinei
Common name(s): Elegant Coral, Elegance Coral, Elegans Coral
Tips on care: Give moderate light and low current. Keep good calcium levels and add a strontium supplement (this should be done if you keep ANY hard corals). This coral needs room to expand. Should be kept in aquariums 50 gallons or larger because they can grow quickly.

FALSE CORALS

Scientific name: Actinodiscus sp.
Common name(s): Mushroom Corals, Mushroom Anemones, Mushrooms
Tips on care: This species comes in many sizes and colors. In general they prefer moderate light and low current. Red and blue
mushrooms seem to prefer more light then most others, so you may want to give these stronger light. Iodine supplements are
essential to the overall health of this species.

Scientific name: Rhodactis sp. and Discosoma sp.
Common name(s): Fuzzy Mushrooms, Giant Mushrooms, Elephant Ear Corals
Tips on care: These are similar to the Actinodiscus sp., butthey are larger. Some species have small tentacles on the surface.
Give moderate to strong light and low current. Can be fed small pieces of shrimp or fish occasionally. When fed Rhodactis sp.
close up like a "bag" and consume the food. This is normal and when they are done they slowly open back up. Give these species room in the tank because they can bother other organisms.

Scientific name: Amplexidiscus sp.
Common name(s): Elephant Ear Coral
Tips on care: This species is one of the largest species offalse corals. It can reach almost a foot across in some cases.
Give it the same care as Rhodactis sp. and Discosoma sp. One word of caution, this coral may eat small fish that swim into its
stubby tentacles. This species needs a lot of room.

Scientific name: Ricordea sp.
Common name(s): Ricordea, Florida False Coral, Mushroom Corals
Tips on care: Similar to Actinodiscus sp. This species has small stubby tentacles on the surface of the "shrooms". Give
moderate to strong light and low current. Green species prefer strong light.

SEA MATS
Scientific name: Zoanthus sp. ( General )
Common name(s): Zoanthids, Sea Mats, Button Polyps
Tips on care: Many species of of Zoanthids available, most arehardy. In general give moderate to strong light and moderate
current. Usually green specimens are from very shallow areas, so they prefer strong light. Some species can be fed with brine
shrimp occasionally.

Scientific name: Parazoanthus sp.
Common name(s): Yellow Polyp Colony, Yellow Polyps
Tips on care: Give strong light and strong current. Feed occasionally with small pieces of shrimp, fish, and brine shrimp.

Gary, any suggestions and/or changes????

Thanks.

Carrie

Do you have Borneman's book? It was the first good book I've found... and it's got so many post-its stuck in it.... heh

That's how I learned the scientific names on a good amount of coral. The way he organizes it, you can't really learn it by common name first.
I think he does it on purpose.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6843501#post6843501 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crp
Gary, any suggestions and/or changes????
I take it you copied and pasted this info from somewhere (?)
If not, nice work!
Some minor mistakes I noticed after briefly scanning the info:
Lobophytum is misspelled.
Trachyphyllia has recently been placed under Wellsophyllia.

#1 looks like a Musside. Possibly Lobophyllia
#2 I think the consensus is Caulastrea
#3 looks like a type of Mushroom. Maybe Rhodactis or Amplexidiscus

It's really hard to properly ID a coral from just a photo.

Back