id pls

jnb

Premium Member
I took this picture while diving a local wreck Saturday (pompano beach) - I called it a hairy octopus but am curious as to its real name and abundance - it was about 3 inches and friendly and not scared which is rare in my experience. I couldn't believe its spiky skin - never saw this

49068r____hhh.jpg

Very nice picture. There is a species called the hairy octopus but thats not it. All octopuises can change their skin texture to some degree, some more than others. The raised or branched skin projections are called "papillae" It is used for breaking up the octopuses outline and make it harder to see.
What depth was this species seen at? Florida has a number of small dwarf octopuses and there are no doubt some that have been rairly seen before.
Chris

It was about 70 feet on a wreck

cephalopoder said:
Very nice picture. There is a species called the hairy octopus but thats not it. All octopuises can change their skin texture to some degree, some more than others. The raised or branched skin projections are called "papillae" It is used for breaking up the octopuses outline and make it harder to see.
What depth was this species seen at? Florida has a number of small dwarf octopuses and there are no doubt some that have been rairly seen before.
Chris

Back