Ideas for faster acropora propigation

Piper27

I love bengals
So I had an idea for a way to maybe grow fragments into colonies quicker and if anyone has any ideas or comments please share here as well.
The idea is to put acropora fragments on a rod that is layed horizontally in the tank. The rod will be made to spin, turning the acropora around the rod slowly throughout the day. I have a few ideas on how to set this up but no time or space to do such an experiment. I would like to focus on the idea not the actual mechanics of doing it.
The goal is to have the acropora grow in all directions to form a large ball. Once it's of good size it can be cut in half and mounted on a flat tile to grow out normally, this idea would provide a stronger base as well. I think this will work like hanging the coral from a string, except that the whole coral would be getting light not just the top, also the whole coral would be getting better random flow just from turning it. I would think that these factors would grow a healthy coral much quicker than just mounting it, and even quicker than hanging them from strings.
Now will it grow in all directions and grow faster? I wish I was able to find out right now. The small tiny fragments being sold for hundreds of dollars has got me thinking of solutions for cheaper corals.
Thoughts good or bad?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I have been unsuccessful in sps growth outside of montipora, but I love this idea.

I wonder if you were spinning if you could leave lights on 24/7 since half of it would be out of the light?

I wonder how we get get a Weber rotisserie through the side of a tank for the motor control. Might be easier with some round plastic gears and the motor coming from the top.

I have a 4x4 frag tank and would be willing to partner on this idea.

I hope a bunch of people don't say it won't work because I think it's a pretty cool idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I don't think lights on for 24/7 will do anything but burn the coral and support algae growth. I was wondering if more than the average 6 hour main light cycle would help in this case. I have a few ideas on how to make the mechanics work but that's a different thread. This thread want to discuss others opinions on the whole concept.

Going to have a dizzy frag!

I don’t think it will like being moved like that. I know my frags get upset just from changing their spot too often.

It will stay in the same spot really, the frags on strings don't mind being moved from side to side so I was thinking this is about the same thing. Good point to wonder about though thanks for the bump :)

Lots of views, no one has any thoughts on this idea?

try to the combo of low flow and keep them just apart enough not touching other sps around it.

we have a local college prof did an experiment with larry Jackson purple monster.
the experiment wasn't to grow the sps the fastest, but it was designed to see how flow affect the formation of the skeleton. the outcomes the weight were about the same for all the test pieces, however, the size of the acros were at least 20-30% bigger(more spread out). so you won't have the healthiest acro out there but you want fast right.
also we know that macna acro grow out test. i think the conclusion was the one almost touch other sps grow the fastest. since they want to overgrow/growover to cover the others sps.

I have been thinking about the same general idea, but with trying to rig up a magnetic stirrer under a frag tank. I don't have plans to go through with it right now, but it's something I'd like to experiment with someday.

The idea of the coral moving/twirling around is viable because I have seen aquaculture facilities use fishing line to suspend a chunk of coral in the water to get growth on all sides.

Anthony Calfo put out an article awhile back on this as well.

Hope that helps,
Ed

Do you guys think that a coral would grow well being lit from all sides, I just can't see how it would stress the coral out, I would think it would just promote more growth in all directions. It's not like the light will be on at all times. It is just going to have the opportunity to grow in all directions, which I would think would yield twice the growth give or take.

Do you guys think that a coral would grow well being lit from all sides, I just can't see how it would stress the coral out, I would think it would just promote more growth in all directions. It's not like the light will be on at all times. It is just going to have the opportunity to grow in all directions, which I would think would yield twice the growth give or take.

Definitely would grow better. That's the overall hope with lighting anyways,
no shade.

Back