Ideas for my upcoming move

Status
Not open for further replies.

FOX

My wife and I are house hunting, which means we will likely be moving the 180, again. I would like to increase my sand bed, since it only averages about 4". I'd like to go to 6" or so. If I were to locate some of this Home Depot sand everyone's been using, could I just dump it into the bottom of the tank, spread it out, and put the existing sand over the top of it? We're seriously considering buying another 180 or larger, have it sitting in the new house so that I can move all the livetock before the actual move, and then only have to worry about moving the existing 180 on the move day/days, which we would save to use as a FOWLR tank in the future. Approximately how much sand would I need to buy to increase my sand be 2-3" in a 180?

FOX

------------------
angelfire.com/ak3/korysreef.htm

FOX I can start the conversion for pounds of sand, but will need someone to finish the conversion:

tank(assume)72x24x24.

So to raise substrate 2 inches:

72x24x2=3552/231=15.37 gallons. I need another converson to go from gallons to pounds but do not know it.

Anyone?

Sounds like you got your work cut out, good luck.

I estimate it like this:
72x24x3 = 5000 cu. in. = 3 cu. ft.

The bag should have this number printed right on it...

I do not remember where I got this but here it goes. Tank length in inches times the width in inches times the depth of sand you want in inches divided by 20 equals the pounds of sand you need. :) Aslo www.reefs.org has an article on moving tanks in the library.

O.K., So is it a good idea to add the sand the way I'm planning, or is there something I'm nothing thinking about?

There is another possibility too. The real estate agent saw the tank and said that it's a very real possibility that someone looking to buy the house will want the tank with it and even want to contract me to maintain it. I told him it would take in the neighorhood of $15,000 to take it, and he said not to be surprised if it happens. So, I may be starting all over again with $15,000 to play with.

FOX

------------------
angelfire.com/ak3/korysreef.htm

Preliminary Congrats! In my area, the meager addition would probably net a seller $100K!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back