Identification needed

jkhudson

DSCF0801.jpg
can anyone identify this?

I love ID's, but Charlie has beat me to it. Snail eggs is right. Not the typical pattern that you see, but looks like Cerith Snail eggs.

crazy

crazy

I never knew those were snail eggs i just figured it was some

kinda snail poop ... you going to leave them alone and see if they

hatch? do they need to be fertilised?

I really have no idea how snails reproduce..

Snails reproduce in a variety of ways. Most often it's either fertilized eggs or broadcast spawning. If they have laid eggs, they were already fertilized. As far as I know, some of the egg laying snails in our aquariums are able to store sperm, so even one snail in a tank can have fertilized eggs. It's not often to have snail larvae grow up into even sub-adults. They usually get eaten or starve to death because of lack of food. There's not much you can do about it really.

I've had good luck raising the larvae in the refugium--seems like a natural place for them--lots of food and protection

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10498073#post10498073 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
I've had good luck raising the larvae in the refugium--seems like a natural place for them--lots of food and protection
Wow. You're one of the lucky few. Have any pictures of the "babies"?

In my 45g, I get baby snails all the time. I see the baby astreas most, but there are a ton more nassarius than I put in there. I have no idea how they survive, maybe they make it to the refugium.

Here is a pic. You can see one on the locline - that's where I focused, but in the background in the upper left corner of the picture there are more.

8-6-07001.jpg

I know I need to clean out that powerhead filter thingy, but I'm in the process of neglecting this tank. :) Well, only a litttle. I enjoy looking at the 225 much more.

Back