If it were you....

waddwadd

I have a empty 90 gallon that I am redoing, and want to know what you would do....

Would you do reef or fowlr?

If reef, what fish!?

If fowlr, What fish!?

Etc...

If you don't have a reef tank already, it's a no brained for me: REEF.

A FO or FOWLR gets stocked quickly and aside from feeding & maintenence...that's it, your pretty much done. But building a great reef with fish is more challenging IMO and can keep you occupied for years. I love FOWLRs and would love one as a second display tank, but I'd have to have a reef tank to work on. The diversity, color & challenge keeps it interesting.

I'd go reef. I prefer smaller, more peaceful fish anyways, so the coral is just a bonus for me :lmao: If basslets, jawfish, wrasses, and blennies all suddenly made the unanimous decision to start munching coral, I'd have a FOWLR tank. Honestly though, the diversity of a true reef (with shrimp, crabs, urchins, clams, anemones etc.) is endlessly infatuating, finding some new life form in your tank on a daily basis is nothing short of amazing. A 90g FOWLR would also get stocked up fast, and your fish couldn't be too large, due to the size of the tank, which goes back to the fact that most small fish are reef safe anyways, so may as well throw in some cool corals. That being said, I *do* plan on setting up a large FOWLR tank one of these days, so that I can finally get my harlequin tusk, saddleback butterfly, and porcupine puffer, but I still need my reef alongside it :love2: Do whatever you feel will make you happy long term. Good luck :dance:

I'd go for a risky reef with some species that are on the border or have the potential to nip some things.
But I say that because I like butterflies and one of the smaller species like Burgess or Miliaris are far more interesting than tangs for me. You could also throw in a Tobie puffer or one of the riskier dwarf angels like bicolour.

I'd go for a reef then keep one weird fish. Angler. Sea Moth. Maybe a smaller Lion like a Hawaiian. Just a reef with one weird fish.....species tank I guess you'd call it.

I've got a 90g reef and while I love it I've been thinking of making it and anemone tank with a pair of clowns, pair of flame Angels and my two wrasses.

With the tank being 90g a Reef would be much more rewarding. A FOWLR in a 90g leaves you very limited on what you can house together and most fish that are kept in FOWLR get 8"+ easily

A fowler with a Small odd fish like Valentini puffer, Orange spotted Filefish, Wrasse etc would be really cool and unique.

On the other hand a reef with Anemone, Tomoato or some other cool looking clown, plenty of gobies, blennies, reef safe crabs etc would be cool too :)

Alright, plans so far:
90 gallon reef filled with tons of coral
Fish:
Flame Angel for sure, had them in the past and always have had success
Green Mandarin (Months down the road)
Wrasse(s) Love the movement they give and bring the tank to life.
Tang? Would LOVE to put a tang. Purple is my dream fish, but i think 90 is to small. :(

What else?!

Alright, plans so far:
Fish:
Tang? Would LOVE to put a tang. Purple is my dream fish, but i think 90 is to small. :(

What else?!

A 90g is fine for a purple. Zebrasoma tangs have a fairly slow growth rate and aren't even close to as spastic as most other genera of tangs

Alright, plans so far:
Fish:

What else?!

How long is your 90? You may like the purple's psycho cousin the yellow eyed kole :)

The dimensions of my 90 are 48" x 18" x 24". Updated list:

Purple Tang?
Mandarin (mature tank)
As many wrasses as possible
Anthias?
Flame Angel

I can attest to the kole being nuts in a 90g. Mine would relentlessly attack my clown pair and had to be removed.

If I were to start over, I'd house a few, but very cool fish:

Blue throat trigger, mystery wrasse, flame wrasse, potter's angel, harlequin tusk. Showstoppers.

PS - I forgot to mention purple tangs, another show fish. I have a 90g and my purple is doing great. I acquired him from another reefer, it was about a year old. Amazing fish. Gets along great with my small blue tang, wrasses, and flame angel.

I'd really look into the mystery and flame wrasses - awesome fish. The mystery will leave corals alone, but may munch on shrimp. But I'd take that fish over a few shrimp any day.

if you don't have a reef tank already, it's a no brained for me: Reef.

A fo or fowlr gets stocked quickly and aside from feeding & maintenence...that's it, your pretty much done. But building a great reef with fish is more challenging imo and can keep you occupied for years. I love fowlrs and would love one as a second display tank, but i'd have to have a reef tank to work on. The diversity, color & challenge keeps it interesting.

+1

Back