If You’re New Here

Joined in 2011. I have been out of the hobby for five years due to a move. Going to be unexpectedly back into the hobby tomorrow night. Going to attempt to rescue a tank.

Joined in 2011. I have been out of the hobby for five years due to a move. Going to be unexpectedly back into the hobby tomorrow night. Going to attempt to rescue a tank.
Awesome. Please start a new thread to keep us updated.

Hello. I've been keeping freshwater tanks for 10-11 years now, and now that our house is getting remodeled, I finally have the opportunity to try a reef tank. Planning on a 40 gallon breeder with sump, skimmer, live rock, 5-7 small hardy fish, and a few soft corals. Hoping to start the project by 2024!

Hello everyone,
I'm new here, but not to the hobby. I've had freshwater tanks for at least 40 years and saltwater tanks for about 17 years.
I'm having an issue with my saltwater tank and hoping the plethora of knowledgeable people out there someone can help.
My saltwater tank is a 46 bow front with two inch sand bed and a lot of live rock...some pieces are quite large. The tanks is well established.
All the chems are within normal range. Lately, when I blow off my rock (lots of stuff comes out) or vacuum the sand my husband and I get really sick.... coughing, irritated lungs, runny nose, headache, cold like symptoms that last for a couple days. It's like toxins are in the air, but I have no more corals which I know can release toxins. Has anyone else experienced this? Again, I have no corals.
I was doing some research and read that live rock should be cleaned well every few years to rid the debris that can clog it and make it work more efficiently. Could the debris that's in the rocks release toxins in the air? I plan to remove them from the tank into a pail with saltwater and swish vigorously to loosen and remove the debris and "unclog" the rock. I didn't mean to go on and on, but want to give a lot information into what's going on.

Back